Early tropical sun helmet

Article about: Opinions would be greatly appreciated

?

Default Early tropical sun helmet

Opinions would be greatly appreciated

MAP
    ?

I've seen these early white ones in books / on-line and never in hand so I can't be sure. but it looks really nice. Hope others confirm it's real!

I have the later Khaki version with cloth star.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I've seen these early white ones in books / on-line and never in hand so I can't be sure. but it looks really nice. Hope others confirm it's real!

I have the later Khaki version with cloth star.

Michael
    I also have that version. This one looks legit to me, but always ask for a second opinion. They pop up once in a while, so time to buy is when you see it. A little pricey, but what isn't?

MAP
    ?

I can't see anything that worries me but I could be missing something. These are stiffer than the later versions? Correct (as noted, never held one, just from what I have read).
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I've never seen one in hand, one thing that looks a bit odd is that it has been painted white, which leaves you to wonder if it was white originally and when it was painted. Also the center band should be khaki.
    Here is a link to another one that was for sale. Rare WW2 Japanese Officers Sun Helmet | The Military Campaign I've added a couple of pictures from it.

Steve.

?

It has been weather proofed. It is listed in the collectors guild preview, sent out today. Here is the description from Peter.

Early, army enlisted issue helmet. Woven bamboo covered with white water-resistant, cotton drill cloth. The covering is comprised of six machine sewn pieces, meeting at the apex of the crown and sewn under a reinforcing band along its brim. A 20mm wide band is horizontally sewn along the mid-point of the helmet. Above the band, to its forward seam line, is an officer quality Army pattern metal star insignia. To the interior, its medium green colored liner, in a looser weave material, mirrors the six-piece construction to the exterior. A white cotton tag is sewn to the liner, to which no discernable information can be seen. Also present is a handwritten name in kanji. Shows light usage and wear.
    Last edited by visor; 08-25-2014 at 10:06 PM.

?

It looks fine to me.

?

I might pass on it, have come across a lufty helmet I might get instead.

?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    I've never seen one in hand, one thing that looks a bit odd is that it has been painted white, which leaves you to wonder if it was white originally and when it was painted. Also the center band should be khaki.
    Here is a link to another one that was for sale. Rare WW2 Japanese Officers Sun Helmet | The Military Campaign I've added a couple of pictures from it.

Steve.

Steve, would you know the price it went for?

?

Quote by visor View Post
    Steve, would you know the price it went for?
    No I don't unfortunately, I saw that Collectors Guild had another advertised for $450 which sold.
    Steve.