Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

edo tsuba demon;s

Article about: hi i am new to this and am looking at my first tsuba that i quit like . they are asking \\$350 so any input would be a great help . sorry just seen this is ww2

Default edo tsuba demon;s

hi i am new to this and am looking at my first tsuba that i quit like . they are asking $350 so any input would be a great help .

sorry just seen this is ww2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture edo tsuba demon;s  

Quote by hawkins View Post
    hi i am new to this and am looking at my first tsuba that i quit like . they are asking $350 so any input would be a great help .

sorry just seen this is ww2
    That is okay, no one that studies Japanese swords would restrict their knowledge to just WW II.
    That being said, it would help if the photos were rotated before uploading here. It appears that it could be original. I would suggest that you wait for other opinions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

It is a late cast tsuba that has been cleaned with all of the finish being removed. It is not a piece of any great value due to condition. $350.00 is way too much for this piece.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

ok thanks every one

?

Is It really Japanese??
    I'm not by any means an expert on tsuba's and fittings, but the detail and lines to this piece don't look right.
    Ern

As i said, this is not my area of knowledge, but i bought one with a similar theme years ago just because it appealed to me, and it is also worn, but has crisper lines to it.
    Perhaps it depends on the artisan/school that made it?

Quote by stegel View Post
    Is It really Japanese??
    I'm not by any means an expert on tsuba's and fittings, but the detail and lines to this piece don't look right.
    Ern

As i said, this is not my area of knowledge, but i bought one with a similar theme years ago just because it appealed to me, and it is also worn, but has crisper lines to it.
    Perhaps it depends on the artisan/school that made it?
    It is Japanese. As I mentioned, it is cast making it a factory product and not the product of an artisan or school.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Just for your information, the motif is "Shoki the Demon Queller" who is of Zhong Kui in the Chinese pantheon.

source

--Guy

thanks all and a big thanks to Bob ... Just been doing some more diging and have been told this below

This type of tsuba was made for tourist trade in late Edo period (1880+) thru the early 1900's. They were cast and made of either copper or brass. This particular one shows no artistic ability, just quickly made to put on the market. These tsuba are called 'shiremono' tsuba.

The above from some one who has been at it since 1945

the more i have been reading the more i feel i am just digging my self in to a deeper hole

i dont own a sword or any tsubs i just looked at one sold for $15k way out of my $$$ BUT WHAT AMAZING ART WORK

Quote by hawkins View Post

The above from some one who has been at it since 1945

Your comment might also apply to Bob ... well, maybe he's not been at it THAT long!

--Guy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast