Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

The Emperor’s New Clothes (The Evolution of the Emperor's Uniforms and Swords 1872-1947)

Article about: The Emperor’s New Clothes Foreword and Warning This is a story of the evolution of uniforms worn by three generations of Japanese Emperors, Emperor Meiji, Taisho and Showa from 1872 until 19

Guy, I found out who made the first batch of Field Marshal Swords. At least the one presented to George the Fifth had the blade done by Sadakazu Gassan (月山貞一) and polished by Shuhachi Ishikawa (石川周八), Scabbard by Magosaburo Aoki (青木孫三郎), other decorative appointments were supervised by Shigesuke Komatsuzaki (小松崎茂助) of Suya Shoten。
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 07-05-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Guy, I found out who made the first batch of Field Marshal Swords. At least the one presented to George the Fifth had the blade done by Teiichi Tsukiyama (月山貞一) ....
    Nick,

月山貞一 is the famous swordsmith Gassan Sadakazu.

Thanks,
    --Guy

Thanks, corrected. The document said he was over eighty years old, so he would have been the first generation. He died in 1918. Your ancestor also died striking the Field Marshal's sword. They already had Karoushi (過労死) those days it seems.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Thanks, corrected. The document said he was over eighty years old, so he would have been the first generation. He died in 1918. Your ancestor also died striking the Field Marshal's sword. They already had Karoushi (過労死) those days it seems.
    Or, to look at it in a "Wild Western" way: they both died with their boots on.

Looks like the best way to go -- while doing something you love to do.

Cheers,
    --Guy

Here are two posters from exhibition events at the Treasure Pavilion at the Meiji Shrine, showing two of Emperor Meiji's Army uniforms.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Emperor’s New Clothes  (The Evolution of the Emperor's Uniforms and Swords 1872-1947)   The Emperor’s New Clothes  (The Evolution of the Emperor's Uniforms and Swords 1872-1947)  

Here an enlarged version. You can see how huge the shoulder board dragons are.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Emperor’s New Clothes  (The Evolution of the Emperor's Uniforms and Swords 1872-1947)  

Default Resurrecting Hirohito’s Regalia

Resurrecting Hirohito’s Regalia

I am writing this in response to Stegel’s urging. To my surprise, I learned from him that the tassel employed on Hirohito’s Gunto is regarded as a bit of a mystery even among sword enthusiasts. I had assumed that such a high profile item would have been covered by every sword book, as it was even once front page news in the government gazette back in 1934.

I wrote before that army uniforms got established either by an Edict straight from the Emperor or by Army Ordinance issued by the Minister of the Army. However, when launching a new army or navy uniform design for the Emperor, the legal form it took was neither of the two, but in the form of Imperial Family Regulations ( 皇室令 Koushitu Rei ).

Hirohito’s new Type 94 gunto design was announced in the very front page of the 15th February (Thursday) 1934 issue of the government gazette. The front page, featuring Imperial Family Regulations 3, gave detailed descriptions, which was followed by 2 pages of illustrations. In the later pages of the same gazette, the normal army officer’s Type 94 sword was described and illustrated as part of Imperial Edict 26.

I will simply quote verbatim from this gazette what it says about the Emperor’s sword and tassel and compare the illustrations against depictions of the regular army officer versions. The following illustrations from the gazette should be self-explanatory. They will enlarge for easy reading if you click on them.

Based on this information and some black & white photos that exist, a Japanese artisan has faithfully reproduced the sword tassel unique to the Emperor of Japan. Just from the description, one cannot tell how the 3 strands of golden thread are woven into the silk tape in a fashion different from the version for army generals, but surviving photos clearly show the gold lines crisscrossing, just like in the reproduced example. The army officer tassels were all described as having exactly 84 strands to the bushy end of the tassel’s tail, but no numbers are mentioned in connection with the Emperor’s version.

If you had not read this thread before, please also read posts #11, #18 and #19, which also discussed the Emperor’s swords.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Emperor’s New Clothes  (The Evolution of the Emperor's Uniforms and Swords 1872-1947)   The Emperor’s New Clothes  (The Evolution of the Emperor's Uniforms and Swords 1872-1947)  

The Emperor’s New Clothes  (The Evolution of the Emperor's Uniforms and Swords 1872-1947)  

?

A Very BIG Thank You Nick!
    For taking the time finding this information and sharing it with us all.
    another piece in the big jigsaw puzzle, to make the picture a lot clearer!

?

I just recently came across some old variety magazines, kind of like 'people' or 'post' /'who' etc.

As i am regrettably completely illiterate in the language, i just browsed through looking at the pictures like i used to do as a kid.

It wasn't long before i came across an old picture which which i noticed isn't on this thread,oddly enough. I think this one is a bit clearer from the previous posts.

Maybe someone could give a short breakdown of the commentary?

The Emperor’s New Clothes  (The Evolution of the Emperor's Uniforms and Swords 1872-1947)

I did not feature that photo in the article, because it is shown at the Ohmura site along with the text, so I thought you were all already familiar with it.

The text:
    帝國陸軍に於ては、日支事變の實戦 、幾多の經驗を重ねたる結果、一般 校の佩用する從來の洋式サーベルに 缺陷あるを發見し、日本古來の陣太 式に改正することとなりたるが、畏 も、大元帥陛下に於かせられても、 新制の陣太刀式御軍刀を御用ひ遊ば るゝこととなり、三月十日陸軍記念 に際し、九段靖國神社境内の祝賀會 場に臨御遊ばされたる當日より、愈 新御軍刀を御佩用あらせられた。
    御刀身は日本鍛錬會にて謹作したる ので、その御外装は新橋壽屋事小松 茂助氏の謹製に係り、御鎺は菊花御 紋章の肉相彫刻、御目貫は菊花御紋 の三相、御刀緒は三分幅の絹手打ち 、表は茶色、裏は古代紫、金絲交織 、金モール總の御見事なるものであ 。
    寫眞は卽ち、陛下御佩用の御軍刀で る。

My Translation
    In the Imperial Army, ever since the experiences in the Manchurian Incident, shortcomings of the Western saber designs, as worn by our officers became evident and a traditional Japanese style Jindachi sword is to replace it. Likewise our Imperial Majesty switched his sword and wore it for his first time this 10th of March for the celebrations of Army Day held within the precinct of Yasukuni Shrine.

The blade was forged by 日本鍛錬會, Japan Forge-tempering Association and exterior fittings produced by Mr. Shigesuke Komatsuzaki of Suya in Shinbashi. An engraved Imperial Chrysanthemum Crest graces the Habaki, the Menuki consists of three Chrysanthemums, and the tassel is beautifully made with handwoven silk cord of 3 Bu width (9mm), the obverse in brown and reverse in ancient purple, with crossing golden patterns woven in and ending in gold bullion fringes.

The photo shows His Majesty's sword.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5