Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Enlisted Collar Tabs

Article about: We have a discussion going on over at Gunboards about the authenticity of these cut off collar tabs. Just thought I'd toss these on the table here to see what y'all think.

Default Enlisted Collar Tabs

We have a discussion going on over at Gunboards about the authenticity of these cut off collar tabs. Just thought I'd toss these on the table here to see what y'all think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enlisted Collar Tabs   Enlisted Collar Tabs  

Enlisted Collar Tabs   Enlisted Collar Tabs  

The insignia is original, the collar tab looks correct, etc. Is there a more specific aspect of them you are looking to get input on?

The discussion, as I understood it,was regarding the wide sloppy stitching. Was this period correct as it was applied by the soldier or post war. Arisakagogs would have to fill in additional info.
    John

?

I recall reading about the types of accepted sewing methods for different applications. I have seen this type of sewing on collar tabs as well as just the four corners stitched. I think its good!

PG-

?

Here is the thread that referenced different stitches used in the IJA. The response by Nick Komiya includes the table seen here. Thanks Nick K.!

Enlisted Collar Tabs

PG-

?

It's my opinion that the wide, sloppy stitching isn't period correct. Even a field tailor would of done a better job. Before I switched to only collecting navy I had three or four actual named, salty issued army tunics. All had " invisible" tack stitched allied collar tabs. The German "cutoff" insignia market has been severely damaged by real insignias sewn post war onto period fabric then made to look like a real cutoff. Single original Japanese collar tabs can't be given away. There are large quantities of original spools of Japanese military thread. I see faked single pocket rank tabs frequently on eBay.

Okay, so now I understand the question(s) being raised. Perhaps I can point out some observations:

Both don't line up with the specific regulation provided on stitching but that alone might not be the judge and jury on authenticity

On the tab with the early style insignia, with 3 metal stars, on the insignia itself (ignoring mothing) - is the wear on the nickel plating of the stars scraped down to the base metal or does it just have some residue/dirt on top of them? Hard to tell from the photos. IF scraped down then why would the shirt collar tab edges not have the slightest sign of wear or even fraying?? Also, the collar tab cut looks like it was cut by scissors? Either way certainly doesn't look a fighting knife or bayonet cut as i have seen (and like to see) on a taken "in the field souvenir"

Given the stitching pitch, if the answer to the Star wear was "the metal surface scraped off" then, combined with the scissor cut edge I would not purchase such an item. That would be 3 strikes and your out. If just 2 strikes (thread pitch and scissor cut) then "caveat emptor" and make your choice.

For the second one pictured the stars are not really showing yellow in the photo but if original they are very old. It will be good to hear Nicks opinion on both of the examples stitching.

In general, we all know that the value of a single IJA enlisted mans insignia is not much by itself. Post war adding it on to a collar makes it go up an order of magnitude - yes this is slowly creeping its way in the market - but more so in simple items like pocket patches, of which many, many can be made from one original tunic or shirt.

Guess I'll have to dig some of mine out this week and post pictures and see how they measure up too.

Great topic by the way! Thanks for posting it!
    Last edited by Long Shot; 04-08-2019 at 01:10 AM.