Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Evolution of the Japanese Army Gas Mask (1918-1945)

Article about: The Evolution of the Japanese Army Gas Mask (1918-1945) I have been absent for the last few days with good reason. It is time to release several best kept wartime secrets, so please don't in

I have never read anything worthwhile written about Japanese Gas Masks, so I had long hoped to finish this work. Now it's off my chest and I can relax.

I hope this broke enough fresh ground for everyone.

THE END

Superb information, thank you.

?

Excellent research! Great presentation! Thanks

Great information on a subject often left in the dark and barely explored! I especially like the information regarding the Amphibious variants! Well Done Nick!!

Regards,Geoff

Before writing this, I was not aware that there were special observer versions for the Type 95 and Type 99 gas masks and that I had the rare observer version anti-fogging lens in my collection. But I have not yet seen any mask with an observer's eyepiece. So if anyone has an observer's gas mask, please kindly upload a photo of the eyepiece here.

?

Thanks for this incredible job.

Excellent article/research on Japanese Gas Masks... Thank you, BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

The Chemical Warfare Defense Manual I touched upon in post 15 was issued a few months later in miniature 214-page booklet form on 10th May 1937 and distributed widely. Here's a copy I just picked up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Army Gas Mask (1918-1945)  

In post 3 of this thread, I briefly explained how weapons and equipment were named. On this topic, I have now found the official naming rules and its chronological evolution in the Navy’s Master Regulation book. See below for the system introduced on 23rd February 1926.

(Note) As of 23rd June 1928 the number to be associated with Type was switched to the last two digits of the Consecutive Imperial Year Count from the reign of Emperor Jinmu (1928=2588=Type 88, 1940=2600=Type Zero/100).
    Until this point, the Year number of the era was used instead. "14" in Type 14 Pistol was for the 14th Year of the Taisho era.

Obviously, the change in 1928 was the result of the Emperor's death.

When the rules were first introduced in Feb. 1926, Emperor Taisho was still alive, but he died later that year on 25th December, bringing in the new era of Showa. Thus Type 15 would have now been followed by a Type 1, breaking the nice progression of growing numbers. They must have also realized that in 15 years, there would also be another Type 15 to make things even more confusing. So already within 1927 they dropped this practice and brought in the consecutive Imperial Year count to name the Type 87 Gas Mask. With this system you did not have to worry about the same Type number coming up for the next 100 years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Army Gas Mask (1918-1945)  
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 12-30-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    I have never read anything worthwhile written about Japanese Gas Masks, so I had long hoped to finish this work. Now it's off my chest and I can relax.

I hope this broke enough fresh ground for everyone.
    Nick, thank you very much for your detailed "primer" on Japanese gas masks. I must admit I have no fond feelings for these things as I've had to carry a "protective mask" for many, many years while in the army. Thank God I've only ever had to actively use them while at the National Training Center subjecting US Forces to CS gas, replicating chemical attacks from the OPFOR [opposing force using Soviet tactics -- see second image below]. I always tried to stay upwind when releasing CS and therefore would not have my mask on. On the times that God laughed at my folly and reversed direction of the wind ... I truly wished I wore mine more often. CS has sort of a sweet smell just before your senses wake up and realize what it is!

Photo shows me just before releasing the CS ... you can see the cannisters [light green] on my chest straps and belt; left side is my mask. This time I carried my mask with me!

Hmmmm with that CS training reminisce in mind ... what did the Imperial Japanese forces use for gas mask training?

Cheers,
    --Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Army Gas Mask (1918-1945)   The Evolution of the Japanese Army Gas Mask (1918-1945)  

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast