Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake?

Article about: I am in the process of purchasing a WWII Japanese Officers sword brought back from Guadalcanal. The individual also has this available. I have never seen an authentic sword with this much &q

Default Fake?

Fake?Fake?I am in the process of purchasing a WWII Japanese Officers sword brought back from Guadalcanal. The individual also has this available. I have never seen an authentic sword with this much "stuff". In my opinion it looks Chinese with acid etching. Thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake?   Fake?  

Fake?  
    Last edited by swbeck55; 06-04-2014 at 02:21 PM.

?

Stay away!

Thought so. I wasn't there when my friend took these pictures or I would have gotten more. Thanks!

?

An obvious chinese fake. The easiest way to tell is the uneven surface acid etched grain of the blade.

?

In my view this is a modern Chinese reproduction. If the sword you are buying is from the same lot perhaps best to post some photographs before committing to the purchase.

Regards,
    Stu

The first two pic's I do not believe to be fake, the same person is selling both.

?

Thank you for those additional photos. What you now show in the first two photos appears to be a standard IJA Officer sword in Type 98 mounts.

Regards,
    Stu
    PS: when adding photos I suggest doing so in a new post rather than editing an earlier one.

I concur with my colleagues that this is also a Chinese fake. Whoever the seller is, he is someone to be avoided. One mistake is always a possibility. Two fakes in one place is not a good sign.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Rod
    ?

The sword in the top two photos looks fine as Stu and Bob say. Standard shin gunto. Is the tsuba (hand guard) loose? It looks like it may be. If so it's missing a seppa (washer, there are usually four or more). if it's unmessed with $700 is an ok price but thre are so many variables it's impossible to say without seeing it in person. Get a money back guarantee.

If you are asking about the sword without a cloth wrap on the handle in the lower pics... Run! It's as the guys say.

OK, I understand you're the pro here and I trust what is said, but what were you looking at that made you think the tsuba was loose? Yes in fact it is. I just got off the phone with him and he confirmed. You'll have to show me what you were looking at. Good eye!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast