Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help please

Article about: Hi, Im thinking of buying this but im not sure if its authentic or a reproduction. I have a feeling its a fake, but since I know nothing about swords (at this point) I cant tell and i want t

I only mention this in passing - and I have nothing to do with the website I mention. But up for sale at the moment - on the website of WD MILITARIA, is a most interesting Japanese dagger with inscription to the blade. It was apparently presented to a British Army officer by Japanese prisoner's in 1946 'for treating them well.'

?

Here is a link while it lasts. Dagger is about 6 down the list.

WD Militaria

Trouble with this sort of souvenir piece is that they are almost impossible to authenticate and without authentication it's just another war time shop made piece. What surprises me is that the POWs were allowed access to enough material to make such a weapon.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi Bob,

That is of course correct. I've seen photos of some with kanji on the blade. One was a Gensuito if I remember correctly. I think it's safe to say though that they are done with a great deal of skill as opposed to what we see in the sword posted by Bluescan. Would you agree? It is the large clumsy type shown here that I made reference to that my red flag comment.

Regards,
    Stu
    I agree Stu. On the whole, horimono was done by skilled artisans. During the militaristic period time of the Showa era, the majority of poorer quality horimono found on blades of the era was done by former tatoo artisans. Tatoos were frowned upon in this period so the artists turned to a new craft. The carving is also usually done with a power tool and not by hand and chisel.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2