Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

First Sino- Japanese War (1894-95) Medal Citation?

Article about: Hi there. I have purchased what I believe to be a decent example of a medal for the First Sino- Japanese War (1894-95). I has come with some sort of certificate that appears to have some age

Default First Sino- Japanese War (1894-95) Medal Citation?

Hi there. I have purchased what I believe to be a decent example of a medal for the First Sino- Japanese War (1894-95). I has come with some sort of certificate that appears to have some age to it, although I am not sure if it is original? It does not look like other Japanese medal citations I have seen, so could it be a certificate of service or similar?

Some of it was translated and I believe it relates to Infantry Sergeant Ichizo Okamoto. Any further information would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Sino- Japanese War (1894-95) Medal Citation?   First Sino- Japanese War (1894-95) Medal Citation?  

First Sino- Japanese War (1894-95) Medal Citation?   First Sino- Japanese War (1894-95) Medal Citation?  

The citation is for a monetary reward of 40 Yen, awarded to him for his participation in the Sino-Japanese War. See here for details regarding the medal. The citation for the medal was a separate item presented at the same time.

Many thanks for that Nick. Were financial rewards commonplace or would he have had to have done something out of the ordinary?

It was common practice and paid out on a scale based on rank. However from the 1937 China Incident, they switched to giving you bonds rather than cash, which became worthless due to the defeat in WW2.