Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is this flag original, and worth $100?

Article about: I want to get one Japanese flag for my collection, and I like this one. But I have no idea what I'm getting into in the Japanese side of things. It has a little staining in the upper right c

Default Is this flag original, and worth $100?

I want to get one Japanese flag for my collection, and I like this one. But I have no idea what I'm getting into in the Japanese side of things. It has a little staining in the upper right corner, shown in pic 2 below. This is purported to be silk, and the seller wants $100. I like the look of it, but I don't even know what it says. Totally in new territory here.

Size is 85cm×75cm

Is this all looking authentic and reasonable?

Thanks so much folks!

Is this flag original, and worth 0?

Last edited by avenger; 06-17-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Proper construction and material. The price is pretty much average. No red flags on this one.(pun intended) As for the writing, generally, the smaller bits are signatures of friends,family and well wishers. The Larger bits of writing are usually patriotic sayings, etc. Sometimes a dedication from some official, etc.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Awesome. Thanks Wagriff.

Did I see a post somewhere (I can't find a link right now) that helps identify what the patriotic saying is? For all I know this guy graduated from college, and this was his congratulations flag!

Hey, I found what I think that big text is on top, in another flag thread. I think that was what this gentleman translated as:

武連長久
    Buun Chōkyū
    Everlasting Fortunes of War

The problem is, the lettering is backwards to this translation. Is that typical? I know other cultures don't necessarily read left to right like Americans.

I wonder if I can find any of the other text's translations.

Kanji could be read right to left - not unusual. I've seen it in column form too. NH

Quote by avenger View Post
    武連長久
    Buun Chōkyū
    Everlasting Fortunes of War

The problem is, the lettering is backwards to this translation. Is that typical? .......
    Yes, it is typical to the period. Up until 1945 or shortly thereafter, when Japanese would write horizontally, it would be from RIGHT to left -- like in your flag. If we see the lettering reversed (i.e., LEFT to right, horizontally) ... that could be (according to Nick Komiya) one possible indication of post-war writing. But Japanese can be read from right to left horizontally; right to left vertically; and left to right horizontally. I guess it could also be left to right vertically ... but don't really recall seeing anything written that way (and I'm NO expert!).

--Guy

Guy - thanks for your additional posting. This comports with what I have heard from seasoned collectors of Japanese militaria. All around - a very nice flag. NH

I do not see a recipient's name, but the entire right side looks like a poem -- and I say that merely because of the semi-cursive/cursive style of calligraphy (the four "squiggly" lines) that is typically found in waka poetry.

This type of writing:

Perhaps Nick-san can confirm/deny?

--Guy

Edit: the balance of writing on the flag is signatures.

To preserve this flag I would roll it up on an acid free tube so it can be rolled out without having to fold it. Or, if you have the space, store it flat. Keep it far away from sunlight and heat! NH

Very helpful info guys and great idea Neil on rolling it up. I have acid free vellum that would work very well I think.

I asked the seller some more info on the flag. He's Japanese, but was unable to translate the poem, but agrees that it is a poem on the right side. The name of the soldier is towards the bottom, right of center (just under the right edge of the red sun):

渡邊久治

Could be one of three possible translations.

1) Mr. Kyuuji Watanabe
    2) Mr. Hisaji Watanabe
    3) Mr. Hisaharu Watanabe

Google translation, for what it's worth, believes it's Hisaharu Watanabe.

The last photo I posted above is apparently of the part that is "Watanabe".

Whoever did the victory slogan, had nice writing/painting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast