Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is this flag original, and worth $100?

Article about: I want to get one Japanese flag for my collection, and I like this one. But I have no idea what I'm getting into in the Japanese side of things. It has a little staining in the upper right c

The corner tabs look fine. I wouldn't worry overly about the line in the cloth. Do you have any full photos of it we can see?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Whew. That's a relief. Thanks my friend.

I do have a few photos of it:

Is this flag original, and worth 0?

Looks like a winner to me. Those leather tabs were sometimes ersatz leather-nothing to worry about. Great colors to it. I wonder if Hisaharu ever made it home again? Now...you need the tough one-the Rising Sun! Tread careful around those, though, as they've been faked since 1945....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Tough to say. I hope so. I watched The Pacific HBO series on Amazon Prime the other day. It's hard to imagine anyone went home from that. Growing up, my grandmother who was a military dental assistant in WW2 talked about working on German POW's teeth. She never really had anything bad to say about them, but she'd roll over in her grave if she knew I bought a Japanese flag, though she'd have choice words that I'd have heard her say. My grandmother was a very good woman. She didn't generally harbor any ill feelings about anyone, except when she'd talk about the war. Old wounds heal slow, and both sides paid an awful price if you ask me. I'd rather have fought The Battle of the Bulge, freezing in a foxhole, than to have ended up on Peleliu, Okanawa or Iwo Jima.

I've always been fond of Japan and the rich history and culture of the people. In some ways, the country strikes a chord with me in a way you could say part of my heart is in Japan. I hope to visit one day, and I could see myself retiring there. The place is absolutely beautiful, and it's hard to find a people more dedicated to the things they choose to do. Nowhere there is without wonderfully manicured trees and shrubs, which are a testament to their discipline, self-respect, and heritage. Here, it amazes me when my neighbor mows his lawn.

For me, this isn't just a flag or a symbol like my German flags. It's the expression of love, prayers and family of a man who may or may not have met a terrible end on one of those islands. I will do my very best to honor this memento, and protect it while it's in my care. I wish I knew what the poem said, so I could know that much more about the soldier.

?

Not all tabs were made from leather. Some were pressed paper and others pressed paper with a gold color foil paper over that. Also, your flag may not even be made of silk. Many were made from Rayon, often referred to as false silk, and cotton as well as other materials that were available to the manufactures in their respective geographic areas.

Cotton tends to be thicker, Rayon has a bit of a bounce to the fabric and silk flows through the hand. Now I know "bounce" and "flow" are really not that technical but it's the best way I can describe their respective physical attributes.

If you are unsure of what you have take it to a fabric shop. An experienced staff member should be able to determine the fabric type.

Regards,
    Stu
    PS: Yours appears to me to be cotton.

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    ... Now...you need the tough one-the Rising Sun! ...
    Just to get your interest piqued ...

?

Then of course you will want a big Navy flag,

?

... and then you will need a second job to pay for these items ... LOL ... it's addicting.

Regards,
    Stu

There was a nice loose thread on one end, I cut off to do a burn test. Here's what I know about the flag:

It has a sheen to it that's not showing up in the pictures, so I doubt it's cotton. I've never seen cotton have a sheen.

It's not as "flowing" as silk shirts I've owned, so I was unsure about it being that now that the question has come up.

Seems like one of two possibilities, silk or rayon. The burn test revealed the thread did not curl, so no synthetics mixed in. It left no ash, and came to very little ash at the end of the thread. It smelled like burning hair, which is a indicator of silk vs rayon which it appears is supposed to smell like burning paper. It really did stink honestly.

I was leaning rayon myself until I did the test. Now, I'm thinking silk cause it made the kitchen smell like my dog after a bath, all from one tiny thread.

The seller had sent more photos, I recall this being one of them, showing the sheen:

You know, I'd love the navy flag. But those swords make me drool....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast