Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Is this flag original, and worth $100?

Article about: I want to get one Japanese flag for my collection, and I like this one. But I have no idea what I'm getting into in the Japanese side of things. It has a little staining in the upper right c

?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Just to get your interest piqued ...
    Stu, that is fantastic! If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much does one of these typically sell for? I'd like to own one each of the signed Hinomaru and rising sun type.

?

Interesting. Wool is another fabric that smells foul when burned but I have yet to come across a Hinomaru no Yosegaki made of wool and yours does not look like wool. Hemp and Linen were also used but they don't usually smell that bad when burned. Keep in mind that the age of the fabric and the conditions under which it has been stored could effect the smell.

Regardless, that's a nice flag, worthy of preservation and I'm sure that the poem can be translated given a bit of time.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by Erno View Post
    Stu, that is fantastic! If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much does one of these typically sell for? I'd like to own one each of the signed Hinomaru and rising sun type.
    I'm not sure. I bought that one years ago. I have recently been offered 850 USD for it so I suppose that is what it is worth to one fellow collector.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    I'm not sure. I bought that one years ago. I have recently been offered 850 USD for it so I suppose that is what it is worth to one fellow collector.

Regards,
    Stu
    Thank you! I thought it would be quite a bit more than the Hinomaru flags, which are of course far more common. Either way, yours is great.

Avenger, I really like your new flag as well, and I think you did well.

Hi Scott-san,

A very nice Hinomaru Yosegaki flag. Congrats!

The few columns on the right side are poems, however I can't read them.

I have a mint IJN rising sun flag made of wool, and is my only example.

Cheers!
    Taka

Then I will just imagine the poems talk about peaceful times among cherry trees with family and friends.

Thanks for your confirmation Taka-san!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4