Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

A free Japanese sword...

Article about: The cherry blossom WAS a reverse threaded screw! The sword is apart and there ARE markings! VICTORY!! Stand-by for photos!

Default Re: A free Japanese sword...

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi guys,

This era is one I'm not comfortable working with but... am I seeing a police sword with five petal cherry blossom?

Looking forward to seeing the nakago.

Regards,
    Stu
    Hi Stu,

Yes! There is the police "starburst" on the handle strap.

Then again .... that "starbust" is too circular compared to the police version, which is more of a 5-rayed star:

This kyu-gunto sword has an army-style backstrap ... could the starburst allude to a particular regiment?

And, it does look like an older blade; or at least "old style" blade. Definitely combat effective, not just a pretty parade sword.

--Guy

Thanks for all the information, gentlemen! Could someone help me in figuring out the exact types of photos you need to help identify this sword?

Quote by Stu W View Post

Looking forward to seeing the nakago.
    I am assuming that this is the part of the blade covered by the handle? How can I access it?

?

Hello Guy,

I noticed the starburst shaped emblem on the blackstrap too but it looks just different enough from the standard type you have shown to leave me more uncertain than I was before. Combat capable blade for sure and perhaps with age as Bob has mentioned.

Unfortunately I'm a long way from home and my reference books so can't offer much more to this thread.

Regards,
    Stu
    PS: Perhaps some sort of Colonial Official issue piece?

?

Hi Joe,

Yes, the nakago is under the tsuka. Or ... The tang is under the handle in general terms.

I'll explain how to get the handle off shortly. Must run now. Don't start prying or hitting anything though at this point.

Regards,
    Stu

Image copied from Ebay -- please copy it before it disappears.

Here's the badge; lower right corner of the chart:

1st Something-or-Other.

--Guy

Grab the large-sized images before they disappear -- the sale is already concluded:
    Russo-Japanese War Chart.

--Guy

Am I correct in assuming that I am not dealing with a run-of-the-mill sword here?

Here are two better photos:
    A free Japanese sword...A free Japanese sword...

The fittings are very likely Russo-Japanese War era or thereafter. This style of sword [kyu-gunto, "former military sword"] was used from 1883 ~ 1945; but it was "phased out" when the "samurai" style sword [shin-gunto "new military sword"] made a comeback in 1934. The blade is probably pre-1934, though we cannot say until after you remove the handle from the blade. [Wait for Stu's tutorial.] Removing the handle is a simple (usually) operation done by removing the bamboo retaining pin. Usually a light tap from a small hammer and a blunted rod-like tool to displace the pin. Pins normally are tapered more acutely on one side, so make sure you tap the smaller side to remove the pin.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN the blade or the tang!! Tangs are supposed to show the age from black rust. Do not attempt to remove that at all.

Photograph any markings on the tang. And orient the photograph so that the tip points up and the blunt tang to the floor -- this orients the writing so we can read it.

Cheers,
    --Guy

The gommabashi horimono(two parallel line carvings)give this more of a chance of being an older hand made blade. Like Stu, I am looking forward to seeing the tang of the blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast