Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

A free Japanese sword...

Article about: The cherry blossom WAS a reverse threaded screw! The sword is apart and there ARE markings! VICTORY!! Stand-by for photos!

Default Re: A free Japanese sword...

Joe,
    When you take the handle off, if their is writing on the tang, please photograph it in a vertical fashion with the top being towards the cutting edge. Too many times, we get kanji pictures sideways and upside down!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

YES! I really hate standing on my head or turning the computer upside down to read. Seriously though, photograph the sword vertically with the tip at 12 o'clock and tang at 6 o'clock, like this:

--Guy

PS ... and DO NOT "clean" that blade or tang!!!!

Will do, folks!

I promise not to clean it.

... how should I get the blade off? The mighty interwebs say I should hold the sword in one hand and slap down on my forearm with the other.

How to Clean A Japanese Sword - YouTube

... and you can ignore the rest of the video for now.

Some swords require many "fist strikes" to loosen the blade from the handle. If a tang is wedged too tight, I use a special wood mallet and striking surface [but don't attempt this at home].

Oh ... and remember to remove the retaining pin first! Otherwise, you'll have a real sore wrist!

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    How to Clean A Japanese Sword - YouTube

... and you can ignore the rest of the video for now.

Some swords require many "fist strikes" to loosen the blade from the handle. If a tang is wedged too tight, I use a special wood mallet and striking surface [but don't attempt this at home].

Oh ... and remember to remove the retaining pin first! Otherwise, you'll have a real sore wrist!

--Guy
    My sword never had a pin in it from the beginning. My wrist is beat-red, but the blade still isn't budging. I noticed that the cherry blossom on the bottom of the handle it able to turn. Could that be holding the blade in, too?

?

Can you show a photo of exactly where you mean?

Regards,
    Stu

This little blossom wiggles. Could it be a screw holding the blade in?

A free Japanese sword...

?

Hi Joe,

I see what you mean now. Perhaps attached much in the same way as a TR dagger grip is. I have known of other daggers with grips attached in the same manner but never a tsuka. I cannot offer an educated comment on this point so will sit back and see what others have to say. Unfortunately I don't have my Dawson reference at hand.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi Joe,

I see what you mean now. Perhaps attached much in the same way as a TR dagger grip is. I have known of other daggers with grips attached in the same manner but never a tsuka. I cannot offer an educated comment on this point so will sit back and see what others have to say. Unfortunately I don't have my Dawson reference at hand.

Regards,
    Stu
    No problem, Stu! Based on your advice... I have decided not to mess with this sword anymore until we get more opinions. Plus, my forearms and fists are sore!

Hi Joe-
    During this period, some of this form of mounting does have a screw on retainer on the top. I have had two old blades that had the end of the tang cut down on the side and threaded! It definitely damages the value of the blade. In those post samurai days, they did not care as the blades they usually did it to were at the time considered insignificant. Try unscrewing the top. Some are threaded in reverse.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast