Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

A free Japanese sword...

Article about: The cherry blossom WAS a reverse threaded screw! The sword is apart and there ARE markings! VICTORY!! Stand-by for photos!

Default Re: A free Japanese sword...

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Hi Joe-
    I really am not comfortable evaluationg a blade from photographs. There are too many things like workmanship, flaws and defects to judge in a sword for value just from pictures.
    As to the length of the blade, that can reflect the owner's height. It can also indicate the form of fencing that he studied. Different schools of swordmanship reflected different lengths of blade. The famous Yagyu school for instance favored shorter blades as they favored a quick draw technique. The masters of the Yagyu school made the mistake of challenging the famous samurai Miyamoto Musashi out for a duel and he killed all three. For revenge, some of their students ambushed Musashi for revenge and he killed all of them also.
    I understand, Bob and I respect that. Thank you!

I would like to give the woodworker a thank-you gift of some sort for this sword. I just don't know how big of a gift it should be!

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Close enough for government work.*

--Guy

*I'm authorized to say that since I've been with the military & federal government since 1973
    I just realized that the cheapo tiles in my extra room are 12"... I just snapped some more pics. It is, in fact 19.5 inches.

A free Japanese sword...

A free Japanese sword...A free Japanese sword...

Can anyone tell me what the handle grips are made of? Am I right in thinking it's shark skin?

?

Way to Go Joe!!!
    Nice (FREE) Snag you got yourself!!!!!!
    The last time I checked, here in the US for a recommended polisher(Studied in Japan and Japanese trained) he was $100 and inch! $75-85 for a touch up up polish.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks, Phil! Doesn't look like I'll be having a recommended polisher work on this sword anytime soon...

[QUOTE=GIZMO8Z;861677]I understand, Bob and I respect that. Thank you!

I would like to give the woodworker a thank-you gift of some sort for this sword. I just don't know how big of a gift it should be! [/QUOTE

$100 would be appropriate.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

same-gawa [sah-may gawa]. The skin of a ray. The Japanese word "same" means shark; [kawa/gawa] means skin.

Check this link for samegawa

--Guy

Good morning, folks!

Thank you so much for your efforts last night! It was a very exciting experience!!

Should I make a new bamboo pin (mekugi) for the handle of my sword? Should I just get a chop stick and cut it down to size?

Is it ok if I leave the sword disassembled... or should I always put it back together?

Crummy weather here today... unfortunately better pictures will not be coming today.

Best,
    Joe T

Hi Joe,
    For protection of the blade, I would suggest reassembling it. As you know the secret of how the blade is retained, you really do not need a pin. Swords found in this form of mounting usually have a pin made out of black water buffalo horn, not the typical bamboo pin. Just my two cents worth.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

marnriver
    ?

Combat covers on Jap swords are very hard to replace, as they were stitched and then shrunk on with age, you could be very lucky and find one on maybe nihonto message board, you found a copper hilted NCO sword in the trash? WOW hope you got a lot of dosh for it , there rare, like hens teeth.
    Chris.F.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast