Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Girlfriend's Treasures

Article about: So today my girlfriend was asking me what I wanted for Christmas. I've been putting a small display together for my Type 2 and Type 99 bringback and wanted to get a nice hinomaru yosegaki an

MAP
    ?

Interesting information Stu. Thanks for the education. I will go on faith what your friend is saying is correct. Kind of changes everything ive been told or read in the past. Also agree that Michaels is a great place to go. That is where I've always gone to buy a frame. I have yet to frame any paper or flags, preferring to keep them in the dark and the fact that real estate is not cheap.

But I still do think that the key to preservation as I noted is to keep any paper or cloth items OUT of direct or semi direct sunlight. This is the real killer and difficult to truly control IMHO. My war room has room darkening shades. So for the 99% of the time, the room is completely dark
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I agree with you ... Light is the big concern. I'd also use acid free mats when cost efficient such as at time of a good sale. Where I'd cut back is with the glass. If the room lighting is subdued then these extremely high priced types of archival glass are not required as I understand the framer's comments.

Again, I'm talking about average flags. If yours has Yamamoto or Hirohito on it then the game changes!

Regards,
    Stu

Thanks for all of the information guys! I love this forum because I learn so much from the members! I had a question about the hinomaru yosegaki. I am still wanting to get one for Christmas and I have been looking at them on Ebay (and pointing my family in the right direction ). My question is this. I see a lot of the flags coming out of Japan. The sellers have reallly high ratings however I don't know if these are commonly faked or not. Any idea if its smart to get one there or on another site? And finally, if there is another site to get them, what is it??

Thanks again for all the help!

T

Yes, they are often faked in Japan for selling to Americans. Never buy ones done only in one hand (not signed by many people) and stick to ones in silk and avoid cotton ones. Some are faked by a group of 3 guys to show a variety of handwriting. During WW2 they even used silk in military uniforms, because the war disrupted export of silk and they had to support the silk industry from becoming bankrupt. This is why you normally see silk flags during the war, an extravagance which you didn't see post war. Blank flags generally available to fakers would be post war cotton ones. Best are ones done on silk and signed by generals and such who have verifiable signatures.

Thanks for the info Nick!

T

MAP
    ?

Question Nick. For the average collector without a "network" how likely is one to find with a high value signature? Is it more common that I would suspect? Thanks for the great information.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Yes, they are often faked in Japan for selling to Americans. Never buy ones done only in one hand (not signed by many people) and stick to ones in silk and avoid cotton ones. Some are faked by a group of 3 guys to show a variety of handwriting. During WW2 they even used silk in military uniforms, because the war disrupted export of silk and they had to support the silk industry from becoming bankrupt. This is why you normally see silk flags during the war, an extravagance which you didn't see post war. Blank flags generally available to fakers would be post war cotton ones. Best are ones done on silk and signed by generals and such who have verifiable signatures.
    Great advice and duly noted !!! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Good flags come along regularly over on the WAF Estand. You could also contact Mike Bortner direct as he often has some to sell. He goes by MikeB over on WAF and here is a link to his site ...

Get History Today - Home

You can also try a respected dealer. Try Paul Hogle. He's well known for German items but periodically has Japanese items too ...

https://www.lakesidetrader.com/Axis-Powers/Japanese/

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Question Nick. For the average collector without a "network" how likely is one to find with a high value signature? Is it more common that I would suspect? Thanks for the great information.
    Although you asked this of Nick I'll comment that based upon my experience signatures of Company and Field Grade Officers can be found but those of General Officers are difficult to acquire without networking.

As for political figures of note they are next to impossible to locate even with networking.

Regards,
    Stu

MAP
    ?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Although you asked this of Nick I'll comment that based upon my experience signatures of Company and Field Grade Officers can be found but those of General Officers are difficult to acquire without networking.

As for political figures of note they are next to impossible to locate even with networking.

Regards,
    Stu
    As always, thanks Stu. It is as I thought. Most of us would be happy with a plain vanilla one and these rarer versions I expected to be had via word of mouth. I know that's how it works with helmets, visors, SS items and such. So these references are a big help for people. I know of Paul but didn't know of Mike.

Btw...my sword still hasn't arrived some where in the postal system...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast