Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Good Luck Item of Protection

Article about: A number of years ago, I was given a small pocket sized Bible that was carried by a U.S. serviceman during the War. The outer back cover of the Bible is made from a heavy cloth material. Wha

Default Good Luck Item of Protection

A number of years ago, I was given a small pocket sized Bible that was carried by a U.S. serviceman during the War. They were known as "The Heart Shield Bible". The outer back cover of the Bible is made from a heavy cloth material. What makes the item interesting is that the front cover is made from a thin piece of steel. Across the metal cover are the words, "May This Keep You Safe From Harm". The thinking I am sure is that the owner would place the metal covered Bible in his left shirt pocket over the heart. The hope was that should a bullet hit that area, the metal covered Bible would save/protect the owner's life. These small, metal covered good luck pieces were often purchased at stores or through the mail. Whether or not they worked or not is doubtful. Additionally, a wound caused from a bullet or shrapnel strike, were it to pierce both covers, was bound to be serious. At the very least they may have offered a measure of hope or psychological comfort as the man approached personal danger in battle.

Japanese servicemen had similar items of protection. Probably the most common overt good luck item was the senninbari. Some men also carried charm pouches with them to provide protection. Items with the mantra, "Samuhara" were also intended to offer "protection from the bullets". At times Japanese soldiers also wore various kinds of body/chest armor. The military officially tested these, and men did buy them as private purchase. I know that Geoff has a nice example of just such a piece of chest armor that I think he has posted here in the past.

This particular Japanese item of protection has been in my collection for quite a while. It is a rather thick piece of steel that measures approximately 2.75" wide by 3.75" high. The front of the metal is painted white and has a large round red circle in the center like a Japanese national flag. The vertical line of characters on the upper right-hand corner literally says, "Bullet Proof Mascot". Directly across from that in the upper left-hand corner, the vertical line of characters say, "Presented to Second Lieutenant Yoshimura". The horizontal line of characters across the bottom say, "Presented in the year Showa 12 (1936-1937) for the China-Japan Incident Expedition. From the Inuzuka Family of Arato Town".

MichaelB

Good Luck Item of ProtectionGood Luck Item of Protection
    Last edited by MichaelB; 03-07-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Wow ... never saw anything like that before! Thanks for continuing my education, MichaelB.

--Guy

MAP
    ?

That's a great comparison of items
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you Guy and MAP. I thought that it would be something a little bit different, and I am glad that you liked it too.

MichaelB

Very Nice Mike! I am a big fan of personalized items!

Default Good Luck Item of Protection

Hi Geoff-
    Glad that you liked it. Personalized items are always fascinating, especially when they have more than just the name. Thank you again for your comment.

MichaelB