Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Government of Japan will now act as intermediary in case you wish to return war relics to families

Article about: Here is an announcement to collectors from the government of Japan. For those who wish to return Yosegaki flags and Senninbari to the families of the fallen, the government is now volunteeri

I too was surprised that the government had changed its attitude on the subject, but can also understand that it is now or never, as the children of the war dead, whose graves remain empty are getting advanced in age, and also the many expeditions to bring back the remains just bring back anonymous piles of bones that no longer can be attributed to individuals to bring closure to private families.

The government's offer to locate families was linked to a Yahoo Auction announcement requesting sellers to be aware of the hurt sale of these flags may cause to the bereaved families, and should they wish the option of returning the flags instead, the government was now ready to assist.

I was not aware that it was a topic discussed in the diet until I saw the film and that finally explained to me what was behind it all.

I only watched it in Japanese and did not bother to read the subtitles done by the Obon Society, so I don't know about the accusations made about manipulating the message by not quoting what was really said, etc. But I watched as a collector myself and did not feel at all like being set up like the bad guy. Instead of fanning hysteria, it is important to stick to facts of what was actually said.

The whole point was about making people aware that the Yosegaki and Senninbaris were highly personal items presented to the soldiers by families and friends who wished for his safe return. Thus they have a totally different meaning to the bereaved families than canteens or uniforms.

The female diet member was also well aware of the need to ensure commercial rights of people wanting to sell and buy, so of course there is no such plan to make handling of militaria and flags illegal.

As a matter of fact, a comment was made that sale of these flags may actually also be coming from a veteran who failed in business and had to sell off his possessions and sold the flag hoping it would be bought by someone who understands its significance and would care for it. This was said as an example of why the government should not restrict the sale of such items, and at the same time I felt it did justice to those who collect.

In the end, what they achieved was to ask Yahoo to run a campaign to raise awareness of the sentiment of the families who are still waiting, and should the seller feel inclined, give them the option of returning the flag with the help of the government. The families of the bereaved until now had no way to express their pain, but was thus given a voice in the market. The right of those who wish to sell and those who feel hurt to see them sold have both been heard and respected.

There is no demonizing, no coercion, but only the plea to hear two sides of the story before deciding what to do with the flag in your possession. If you want to go ahead and sell, Yahoo places no restriction on that.

This is the truth and fact of what has happened so far.

I think for me, the part of the video that raised an eyebrow was when she said "Nevertheless, it is sad to know that heartless citizens with access to eBay auction sites sell these precious and personal items in America and Japan. This may be a sign that the war memories are fading."

There may be some translation problems here that don't really exist in what was said, but assuming the translation is correct, I don't feel like people selling these items, particularly families that have no interest in them, should be considered "heartless". I fully understand the personal significance of items like these to the families of people who fought for Japan, and in the cases of items associated with their families, I would fully support the return of relics to those families. But, if someone selling one of these unwanted items is "heartless", what does that make me who would cherish buying one to preserve and pass on?

I grant there is some knee jerking about this, and I think everyone would agree the desire to see personal items returned to families is a very worthy cause. I don't want your thread about such a positive program dragged down into the negative. But, I also think collectors can sometimes be misinterpreted as looters, trophy hunters, and people who thrill in only the possession of the items with no respect for the history and story of them. I feel like that's an undeserved black eye we often bear.

I care deeply about the history of the items in my care, and go to great lengths to preserve them so that their story can live on. If the undercurrent of this movement is just to work with collectors and dealers to connect with families that are tied to these items directly, I support that 100%. If there is a spirit that collectors and dealers are holding ill gotten items hostage for personal pleasure and sport, I think that would be an unfortunate misreading of our intentions, and will not have much success. And the request to ban the sale of such items, and declaration that collectors have no business owning them, makes me a bit uneasy of how this lady would view me as a collector. And even if such a ban were in place, how many of these items would end up in the trash instead of the hands of people like me who would protect them and respect their significance? I think that's why some are a bit apprehensive about this topic, even though there is a lot of good that can come from it.

I hope this continues to get explored and am grateful to you for posting it (I wasn't even aware this was going on), but I also hope the discussion can happen in partnership with the collecting community rather than against it.

"In the end, what they achieved was to ask Yahoo to run a campaign to raise awareness of the sentiment of the families who are still waiting, and should the seller feel inclined, give them the option of returning the flag with the help of the government. The families of the bereaved until now had no way to express their pain, but was thus given a voice in the market. The right of those who wish to sell and those who feel hurt to see them sold have both been heard and respected. "

For me, if this is what I'm really seeing here, I couldn't possibly support this more.

Today, NHK World News had this piece on returning Yosegaki flags for the 75th Anniversary of Japan's official surrender in WW2.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Government of Japan will now act as intermediary in case you wish to return war relics to families  

Complicated subject since so many Japanese families themselves have sold these to antique dealers. These flags, personal award documents, and other personalized awards are always for sale in large numbers on auction sites and other places. I am sure some families want these returned; other families have absolutely no interest. On a related topic, years ago I was buying family photo albums (with wartime pics) either directly from families or 2nd/3rd hand on auction sites. These were not war booty--families just tried to rid their homes of clutter. I stopped because it was so damn depressing to see these people just giving up family history for a bit of cash. Perhaps I was always wondering what my own children would do with our photo albums once they [my children] get older...

So yes, a portion of families appreciate this I suppose--especially if the cameras are rolling--but I have the feeling that most would like to just move on.

Just an opinion of a foreigner who has lived in Japan for 27 years...not sure if that means much but...

I bet these organizations here in the US that are demanding the sale of the flags and belts halted and return them to Japan would screech in horror should the same thing be proposed for German military (or SS!) personal items be returned to their families for the same reason.

Rod
    ?

The Ziaks say the pandemic is not the only reason the mementos keep coming in. They say people who inherit war memorabilia from those who actually fought in war often want to send the items back. They have no memory of the war, so their feelings about the mementos are less complicated. Rex says we are going through a transition where war goes from “memory” to “history.”
    I for one will be glad to see this nonsense pass from "memory to history". It should be said that battlefield souvenirs are legitimately the legal property of the vets who acquired them on the field of battle, this includes yosegaki and senninbari. To say otherwise is to insult the American servicemen who paid the price.

That said, people are welcome to do as they wish with their personal property.

Another thing that bothers me is the emotional manipulation around this issue. While there are still feelings of loss and regret for missing and deceased family members, the war ended 75 years ago this month for crying out loud. It's "history" for everyone by now.

Here's another new piece from NHK TV news on Yosegaki flags Trophies of war heading home | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

News piece on another flag that found its way home.

That was a wonderful video, thanks Nick! A measure of closure for both of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2