Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?

Article about: I've read up to learn, but I cannot tell enough about this sword. I remember it growing up, and then he passed away and I got the sword so I know it's at least as old as I am (34). the entir

Question Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?

I've read up to learn, but I cannot tell enough about this sword.
    I remember it growing up, and then he passed away and I got the sword so I know it's at least as old as I am (34).

the entire sword is: 34.5" total, the blade from tip to "handle area" is ~ 24-24.5" blade

I'm too afraid to expose the "tang" for markings. because there are "decorative plugs" that seem different than other pictures I've seen. Therefore I don't want to break anything. I see videos of people tapping out plugs, I just don't have the heart to do it.

Quick Story: my grandpa, "somehow" hooked up with a japanese officer, and they apparently traded. I can't remember what my grandpa gave..

My grandpa was a Naval Pilot(uss cabot if I recall) listed in some historical lookups as a WWII Ace.

What's weird to me is that the blade is not shiny at all, in fact, it looks like it has been "dipped" as a refinish or decoration. I just looks different. Lots of decorations, but I don't see any serial #'s.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?   Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?  

Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?   Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?  

Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?   Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?  

Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?  

Default Re: Grandpa's sword from WWII any info / thoughts ?

Now that I take another look at the pics, I'm quite certain I see a swan/stork/flamingo type bird on the decorative pieces covered by wrapping. And I believe I've exposed the fact that the photos showing the emblems/decorations are upside-down... ?

?

Well it looks as if someone has messed with this sword but im no expert on samurais, the leather outer appears to have been added possibly to stop the wooden scabbard from rotting or falling apart, the aluminium sheath at the throat has been added for the same reasons, check out the modern screws, the handle tape has come undone at sometime and not rewrapped, and the blade has been either painted over or anodised, i think the whole thing needs to be restored to some semblance of originality, and also the chain needs to be removed, i think this has been added for hanging as a display

Looks to be very end of the last ditch era . the Sa-me stingray skin looks ok but the Menuki, ornament looks added. NO need to remove handle it could damage it badly . Very crudely made but I kinda like it. Welcome to the forum

ERIC

thanks davejb, yeah, I noticed those screws as well.
    I would not put it past my grandpa to have altered this, he was a handy dude. I have a few of his other posessions from military and he was proud and liked to mount stuff.
    I enjoy the sword and it reminds me of him, perhaps I should take it in somewhere if it's not valuable, and give it some love so that I can handle it without fear.

the threading was unwrapped, i'm no sword handle wrapper, so i just fellt it was better to leave it dangling. I don't mind having it around, but was always curious of its origin.

AC

Quote by davejb View Post
    Well it looks as if someone has messed with this sword but im no expert on samurais, the leather outer appears to have been added possibly to stop the wooden scabbard from rotting or falling apart, the aluminium sheath at the throat has been added for the same reasons, check out the modern screws, the handle tape has come undone at sometime and not rewrapped, and the blade has been either painted over or anodised, i think the whole thing needs to be restored to some semblance of originality, and also the chain needs to be removed, i think this has been added for hanging as a display

thanks Eric, I love forums ( mostly for truck stuff ) but I really do appreciate history, so I bet there is a lot of amazing history here. I've already seen some sweet pics.
    I have a few photos and my Gpa's medals, so maybe I'll gather them up and share them here.

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Looks to be very end of the last ditch era . the Sa-me stingray skin looks ok but the Menuki, ornament looks added. NO need to remove handle it could damage it badly . Very crudely made but I kinda like it. Welcome to the forum

ERIC

Yes please post your pics we would love to see them. Eric

?

AC , i think it would be worthwhile to have it looked at and see if it can be restored at least to what it should be, theres no harm in seeing what can be done

It is quite evident that someone has done some serious messing with this sword. The tsuba or hand guard is missing. As previously mentioned, the handle has been unwrapped with the loss of the menuki or handle ornaments. If possible, remove the handle by punching out the wooden pin that holds the handle to the blade. A picture of the sword tang would go far to tell something about this blade as the polish is long gone. Please let me know if the area above the habaki or collar between the tang and cutting edge is sharp or dull for the first inch.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hey Bob, the entire 'cutting area' of the blade is sharpened.
    I'll take another look, but from the videos / articles i've seen, it really seems like the brass decorations on the handle seem "permanent".. like some adhesive is in there. I'll double check my fundamentals.

To say this another way, while I could punch out from the back where the are the holes, it seems the other side of the holes have those decorative things that want to stay there ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    It is quite evident that someone has done some serious messing with this sword. The tsuba or hand guard is missing. As previously mentioned, the handle has been unwrapped with the loss of the menuki or handle ornaments. If possible, remove the handle by punching out the wooden pin that holds the handle to the blade. A picture of the sword tang would go far to tell something about this blade as the polish is long gone. Please let me know if the area above the habaki or collar between the tang and cutting edge is sharp or dull for the first inch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast