Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hachimaki with potential?

Article about: Hi everyone! I came across this headband at a local dealer and with the information I know about these(minefield), this one might, just might have some potential. However, it can just be asw

?

Default Hachimaki with potential?

Hi everyone!

I came across this headband at a local dealer and with the information I know about these(minefield), this one might, just might have some potential. However, it can just be aswell just another weathered fake.. What do you think?

Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?Hachimaki with potential?

Photo's copied for educational purposes.

Cheers!

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hachimaki with potential?  

Looks old to me.

武運長久
    Bu'un Chōkyū
    Continued Luck in the Fortunes of War

--Guy

?

What does it look like when it has been un-done? Is it a headband or could it be a small flag?

I like the seperate cloth Hinomaru, so it could well be a period item, but I doubt it is a 'kamikaze' headband.

Regards

Russ

?

A lot of "hachimaki" are actually small commemorative tenugui towels, which serve a variety of purposes, one of them being a hachimaki when folded up. I assume that is what this is.

Of course it's no headband, but a tenugui, as proven by the blue flower petal motif, typical of hand towels. The owner probably wore it as a tummy belt like a Seninbari. Also headbands were not given out as send-off gifts, so the ever-lasting fortunes in battle slogan, a presentation inscription, is inappropriate for a hachimaki.

?

It appears to have been folded into a far narrower band, as evidenced by the clearly defined edge to the grime.

So... it's a dirty, torn up hand towel from WWII

Yes, a very common item in beat up condition. Westerners seem to have a misguided image about Hachimaki. Hachimaki was normally something you made yourself to show your resolve towards a decisive final battle. Presenting someone with a hachimaki was tantamount to telling the soldier to get killed, so it was generally unthinkable as a presentation item (with the exception of the female student factory worker headband).

Obviously a tenugui given out by the Women's National Defense Association for their joint community work. Here the identical towel with identical printed fonts can be seen worn by housewives preparing rice cakes together in 1938.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hachimaki with potential?  

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Obviously a tenugui given out by the Women's National Defense Association for their joint community work. Here the identical towel with identical printed fonts can be seen worn by housewives preparing rice cakes together in 1938.
    Ha Ha! Man "the Truth shall set you free" but I bet this piece of militaria wasn't for free...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast