Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A haunting Japanese prayer flag...

Article about: Sorry thats wrong advice re caring for textiles; its needs to be rolled in acid free tissue paper. Plastic will make it sweat. Glass will heat it and it will fade.

Default Re: A haunting Japanese prayer flag...

Sorry thats wrong advice re caring for textiles;
    its needs to be rolled in acid free tissue paper.
    Plastic will make it sweat. Glass will heat it and it will fade.

That's a superb looking flag, and looks 100% original to me, as you know it is. Its a sad fact that a lot of repros and genuine Hinomaru with fake Kanji are coming out of Japan these days, so it really pays to know what you're looking at if you're buying. I have a really salty one from Okinawa and a War Flag with blood stains on it. They really are fascinating! Thanks for sharing yours with us.

Regards

Martin

?

Very nice flag with lots of character and warriors spirits

It's not uncommon even these days that soldiers/warriors put i mark or print of themselves to banners/flags. In the army, when we was sworn in, all of us had to take part in attaching the regiment flag to the pole/standard. We all took one of two hits with the hammer on the nails fastening the flag. 188 guys

Regards, Lars

Quote by diver99 View Post
    Sorry thats wrong advice re caring for textiles;
    its needs to be rolled in acid free tissue paper.
    Plastic will make it sweat. Glass will heat it and it will fade.
    I will be sure to store and display it correctly... no matter the cost!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! The flag is currently on it's way to me and I am honored to be it's new custodian!

Translating the flag will be a very interesting... I can't wait! I hope it helps me get to know the story of Japanese soldier who carried it.

The flag arrived today! It is by far the most thought provoking and somber item in my collection... This may sound a little silly, but just inspecting it in hand has me full of emotion and on the verge of tears.

Any help translating this amazing piece would be greatly appreciated.

A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...A haunting Japanese prayer flag...

?

Fantastic flag Joe. It is good to see that such a chilling piece will be used to teach the younger generation the horrors of war that our parents and grand parents lived through.

Fantastic item. It captures the violence and horror of war in just one item.

Regards

Martin

Thank you very much, Martin!

I am currently seeking as much help as possible in translating this flag.

I have been told that this flag belonged to a soldier named Yahagi Tokuji and that the large Kanji characters at the bottom of the flag make up the common slogan: "Eternal Good Fortune in Battle!" which was written on a lot, if not most of these flags.

First round of translations are in!

A haunting Japanese prayer flag...

?

Love the flag obviously it has seen quite a bit! Nice purchase!

all the best,
    Stefan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast