Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help with different Gunto Signature

Article about: I have just acquired a slightly unusual sword that had been mounted with a leather combat cover.The cover has gone to time and the individual stripped off most of the remnants leaving the su

Default Help with different Gunto Signature

I have just acquired a slightly unusual sword that had been mounted with a leather combat cover.The cover has gone to time and the individual stripped off most of the remnants leaving the suspension mounts in place.I was hoping to learn a little more about this style of mounting.The Koshirae is interesting as there is much enhancing to the fittings.The blade has a Bohi that runs the full length of the blade and looks to have been added after the signature and unfortunately removed one half of the Mei.I would appreciate any comments or information regarding this piece and if possible any hints to the "Half Signature" I really like the finish on the saya It looks like it would taste like candy! Perhaps I am enjoying my hobby a little too much! Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with different Gunto Signature   Help with different Gunto Signature  

Help with different Gunto Signature   Help with different Gunto Signature  

Not the standard style Tsuba and some photos of the blade
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with different Gunto Signature   Help with different Gunto Signature  

I like it Geoff!
    Not your typical war time type tsuba, and I love the finish and color of the scabbard.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Geoff I think the Guys are going to want to see some good shots of the blade tang before they can offer any input. With the tang in a vertical position !!!! not horizontal . Sorry to whine at Old Chap !!!

Last two,forgive the cornstarch it helps bring out the kanji but is a little messy Thanks! G.

The fittings are handachi style. The bo-hi is odd and evidently added later as it cut through the mei. My first thought was it was done in this manner to cover up a poorly cut geimei. It is an interesting piece and not a fake Chinese blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you for the replies! Bob did a purchaser of a sword or owner have the option of adding a bo-hi to a blade if it was a wartime production blade? (Non-Traditionally made) and could this account for the disregard for the signature or would this be considered a No No even for a machine or partial machine made blade?

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    Thank you for the replies! Bob did a purchaser of a sword or owner have the option of adding a bo-hi to a blade if it was a wartime production blade? (Non-Traditionally made) and could this account for the disregard for the signature or would this be considered a No No even for a machine or partial machine made blade?
    Hi Geoff-
    I had a feeling this was a war era production blade but was unsure due to incomplete information. I am sure the bohi was added later and your assumption regarding the mei is likely a good one. It is likely the owner was a student of the sword arts and purchased older handachi style mounts and had the hi added so he could use this as his practice sword after he retired from the army. Note also the special order habaki and lacquer work on the saya. The nakago looks fresh so it is likely a war era blade. It could also be a true hand forged blade with no regard for the smith's identity.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi Geoff,
    I think i have this sword's "brother" !!
    or it's the same smith i think.

I saw this thread the other day and was drawn by the 1/2 signature.... so i poked around and found mine.
    The blade and fittings are no where near as complete or nice as yours, just the signature is what i am on about.

Here's a picture to compare.
    mine, and............................................... ...Yours:
    Help with different Gunto SignatureHelp with different Gunto Signature

WoW!! What are the odds of that? What type of mounting is your sword in? I wonder... if this is the same smith, was he working with a shop with a good salesman who could up-sell Bohi? and other extra custom features $$$$$$ Perhaps someone can confirm if these are the same signatures if not the resemblance is very very similar.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast