Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Gunto Kashira

Article about: Hello all, I was hoping to get some help with the Kanji on this Gunto Kashira. It is an interesting character But I am not sure if it would be considered a Mon per se? Perhaps a Family name?

Default Help with Gunto Kashira

Hello all, I was hoping to get some help with the Kanji on this Gunto Kashira. It is an interesting character But I am not sure if it would be considered a Mon per se?

Perhaps a Family name??

Any help or comments appreciated! Regards,GeoffHelp with Gunto Kashira

Family name:

土屋
    Tsuchiya

—Guy

Thank you very much Guy! G.

It seems Strange to me that what I assumed was the swords owners name on the Kashira is also the smiths name?? or would the name on the nakago indicate who the sword was made for?? a sort of "Bench" or order # ???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Gunto Kashira  

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    It seems Strange to me that what I assumed was the swords owners name on the Kashira is also the smiths name?? or would the name on the nakago indicate who the sword was made for?? a sort of "Bench" or order # ???
    "I'll go for "Bench Order" for $5000, Alex!"

First off, the name on the nakago is not the smith's -- it is placed too high up the nakago; maybe Mr. Tsuchiya had his name engraved later -- it does not look like the form/style of engraving we're used to seeing on a nakago.

--Guy

Thanks again Guy!! Dang you're quick on the Draw!! G.

Wow! I've never noticed this done before! I've seen dedications/donations enscripted on the nakago, but this appears to simply be the owner's name.

Geoff, is this the only writing on the nakago? No date, or stamps?

Hey Bruce,Nothing else on either side of the nakago...

Sounds like a custom order, then. As a minimum, he could have bought a generic gunto and then taken it to a shop to have his name engraved and mon attached. I don't know if the Officer Clubs were capable of doing something like that for a buyer, but the multiple shops that made and sold gunto & koshirae certainly could have.

Interesting!