Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knife

Article about: Hi, I recently picked up this, what I believe is a WW2 Japanese Navy dagger/Dirk knife. It is a very nice, solidly built, about 17" long (inside the scabbard), appears to have sting ray

?

Default Help Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knife

Hi,
    I recently picked up this, what I believe is a WW2 Japanese Navy dagger/Dirk knife. It is a very nice, solidly built, about 17" long (inside the scabbard), appears to have sting ray skin handle grip with a thin gold wire wrap 8 times around. The scabbard appears to be brass or another type of metal. The scabbard has Japanese writing on one side and the other side has an engraved scene of what appears to look like ancient warriors. The push button catch is the emperor's mum. There are numerous mums on the scabbard and parts of the handle. There is Japanese writing on both sides of the blade. The other side of the blade is engraved crossed flags with Japanese characters in them. The blade seems to be the same type of steel as a Japanese bayonet. Not the shiny polished steel.
    I am somewhat familiar with WW2 Japanese weapons, equipment, etc. but I have never had the opportunity to own, handle or examine a Naval dagger/dirk knife.
    I tried to research Naval Dirk knives and it appears to be one, But there are a few areas that are slightly different from the traditional ones I saw on the forum and other photos.
    I asked someone, who could read a little bit of Japanese. He said the blade says it is a Japanese Navy dagger and said that it was from the 2nd Fleet. Along with a date. ??

If at all possible, I was asking if any experts, or forum members familiar with these knives if they could hopefully tell me what I have. If in fact, it is an authentic WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knife, model, style, and anything that I should know about it. What the inscriptions/engraved Japanese writing/characters says on both the blade and the scabbard.
    Any Thoughts, opinions, ideas are greatly appreciated.

Help Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knifeHelp Identifying and reading WW2 Japanese Navy Dirk knife

Default Caution Required

The engraving on the outside states:
    AK一七九六三〇
    昭和六年
    海軍第二艦隊

AK 179630
    Showa 6 Year [1931]
    Navy Second Fleet

HOWEVER
    The crossed flags with 天皇 "Tenno" mark this as a forgery. I cannot get any Japanese Google hits on the name (?) 馬維昭佩 -- but can get some Chinese hits for 馬維 and 昭佩.

Additionally, both the figure engraving and lettering appear to be done by a modern machine engraver (straight lines of same depth). In those days, it would have been chased by hammer and chisel.

--Guy

After looking closely at the larger-scale images of the reclining figure, the lines appear to have been either stamped or cast; I guess the same applies to the kanji.

--Guy

?

Fake dirk, not even japanese.

?

Thanks for the info and education. It looked nice, and the writing was intriguing. I picked it up at a flee market for $75.00. Probably all that it is worth... if that. I took a chance on it, and lucky I didn't spend too much for it. It would have ruined my day, to say the least! Hopefully a good education to other forum members..

$75 would have made me sad for crap.