MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughts

Article about: I just saw this at a pawn shop tonight. I always wanted one to hang up with my flag. It's cool because its a bringback. as you can tell in the photos, but bad because of condition. CAN anyon

thanks for the advice, I will check it out tommarrow. They want 500 bucks so I shouldn't go more then 250 for it ? if it has a old blade for instance, would it be worth more ?

?

If it is an older blade and if you did get it. Consider that to get it professionally polished it will cost you about $100 and inch. Just something to think about.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

geeses, I wouldn't get it polished at that rate

If it Is an old blade, $2700 for professional polishing would be well worth investing in. You could possibly turn it over for a tidy profit. It all depends on the blade and maker.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    If it Is an old blade, $2700 for professional polishing would be well worth investing in. You could possibly turn it over for a tidy profit. It all depends on the blade and maker.
    That's close to the estimate for mine. For saving a 600 to 700 year old blade, I was very happy to save up to do this. Now I just have to wait another 9 months till it is done......
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

From what little I can see so far it appears to be an IJA Officer sword in Type 98 configuration with some sort of a combat/field cover on the saya (scabbard). The likelihood is that it's a semi-machine made WW2 period blade and worth little in the current condition. Yes, it may be an older blade, but the odds are that it is not. Even if it is an older blade that doesn't necessarily mean it holds great value. There were blades of low quality mass produced even in the samurai period. I say this not to be a wet blanket or diminish your find but to support what I am about to say next and that is don't spend any more money on it than you feel appropriate for a wall hanger in the condition you currently find it. If it is as I have suggested then it would not be worth restoring and that figure mentioned above of 100 USD per inch of cutting edge to refinish is just a start. It can go 25 to 30 percent higher depending upon several factors and then there would be the cost of getting a tsunagi (wooden blade to go into the mounts) and shirasaya (resting scabbard for the blade itself) made if it's worthy.

The vast majority of WW2 period swords are neither valuable nor rare. Great examples are readily available so don't rush into a purchase. My advice to you is to get better photos so that those folks such as Bob Coleman who are well versed on the topic can provide you with as much assistance as possible.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by collin102353 View Post
    im not sure. I don't think I saw serial numbers on it. I didn't have much time to look though. I don't know what that cover is on the scabbard though
    FYI ... there should not be serial numbers on an authentic Officer sword. There will be on NCO Type 95 swords but that is not what you are dealing with.

Regards,
    Stu

I was checking on the named American officer but could not locate him online ... indeed, my Google-Fu has weakened! (-__-) I would have thought his name, unit number, Medical Detachment, AND service number would have given a hit ........ but I found nothing! FYI, the service number begins with an "O" [for officer; it's not a 0/zero].

--Guy

Default update

After work I picked up the sword. I used all of your help with the informstion to get the sword for 150 bucks. Here are the pictures. There are no maker marks on the blade so it was probally made with a cheap metal, Im not sure. It is sharp all the way along the blade. There was a bamboo pistol the lady sold at auction but just sold this out of the store since the auction house said, its under there standards to sell. I don't care, I like it, and I cannot afford the high end stuff, and this is going next to my battlefield captured flag. It has a paper trail, the name matches up with the paper. For what I can afford, this is it, and I always wanted one. Im happy. Thank you guys for your support. I hope you can see the pictures ok. Its rough, but hell, so are we! Help! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughtsHelp! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughtsHelp! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughtsHelp! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughtsHelp! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughtsHelp! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughtsHelp! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughtsHelp! Japanese sword found at pawn shop need thoughts

MAP
    ?

Collin,

Fantastic that this has bring back papers. And great negotiating skills. I'm sure it will look great next to your flag. Show us some pictures when you set it up

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast