MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review

Article about: Hello everyone, The search for my first Gunto continues. After Bob and Stu saved me from buying a "mix up" Korean War sword last month I have been doing some searching and thought

?

Default Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review

Hello everyone,

The search for my first Gunto continues. After Bob and Stu saved me from buying a "mix up" Korean War sword last month I have been doing some searching and thought I would get your thoughts / comments / opinions on this one which is from a reputable dealer for $1100USD who is happy to provide any further photos on request.

I am looking for a complete pre 1945 Shin or Kai Gunto for display. It doesn't worry me if the blade isn't traditionally made. Does this seem legit and is the price right? It appears that the Vet has etched his service number onto the blade. How much would this affect the value.

Thanks
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review   Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review  

Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review   Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review  

Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review   Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review  

Attached Images Attached Images Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review 

Default Re: Help needed - Possible Gunto purchase for review

Hello Alex,
    It appears to be a legitimate piece. I don't think $1100. is totally out of line as there is nothing missing that I can see and the condition appears to be good. Bob, Guy or Stu will be along to help with the markings.
    I like the temper line.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

A legitimate war time shingunto. I am having trouble seeing the kanji on my monitor. Maybe the picture, maybe bad eyesight, maybe a combination of both. The price seems fair. About 30 years ago, police departments were encouraging people to borrow hand engraving tools from them to mark their property of value. This is not the first sword that I have seen marked like this. At least it is not an older, valuable blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi Alex,

I agree with the others that it is an authentic Shin-gunto with what appears to be a Showa stamp struck slightly off center. If you are not familiar with that stamp have a look here ...

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

I note the lack of sarute. A nice one will run you at least $75 USD and as much as 150 depending upon several factors.

There are often more seppa present. Make sure to ask if the blade tang (nakago) is firmly seated in the handle (tsuka). Nothing wrong with less as long as the blade is appropriately seated. If it's loose then anticipate having to find additional seppa which may then effect the locking mechanism.

As to the engraving. That's a personal choice thing but I will tell you that I would pass on this one because of it. The sword is not such a deal that I could overlook it. Each to their own of course.

Given where you reside have you considered contacting Doug Austin to see what he may be able to provide?

gunto art swords

Regards,
    Stu
    Last edited by Stu W; 07-06-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Found it.

井戸秀俊
    Ido Hidetoshi

Here's where I found the last kanji on another sword by the same swordsmith
    This is a Japanese WW II army officer`s sword. The blade is signed " Ido Hidetoshi 井戸秀秀", with 関 seki arsenal inspection stamp on the tang. Hidetoshi was high rank arsenal sword smith worked at Fukumoto Amahide`s factory during WW2 time period in Gifu prefecture and listed in John Slough's book page 33. The blade is in old polish, shows aged light scratches and tiny flea-bite stain on surface but in good condition. The temper line is wavy gunome with togariba temper pattern throughout the blade and has deep temper at the tips. The forging is tight muji-hada , no forging flaws. T is no bend, no nicks, no crack and cutting edge is sharp. The scabbard is wood scabbard, shows aged minor wear but in good condition. The handle is tight fit and tsuka-ito wrapping also in good condition. The blade measures 25 3/8" cutting edge, 1 1/4" width, 1/4" thickness at the notch and 38 1/4" in the mountings. Shipping is $20 priority in U.S. Accept pay pal, m.o.
    correction Kanji writing; 井戸秀俊
    --Guy

?

Hi Alex , this is a good example of what you are looking for , as Stu commented , its a pity about the scribbleing on the blade , but i would still be happy with this nice piece of history

The smith is noted 31st on the list of this link ,

Seki Smiths
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Default Smith's Real Name ...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    ....The smith is noted 31st on the list of this link ,
    Seki Smiths
    Real name Ido Shunzō

井戸 俊三

Thanks Alan!

--Guy

?

Default Re: Smith's Real Name ...

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Real name Ido Shunzō

井戸 俊三

Thanks Alan!

--Guy

Thank you Guy !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Wow, the collective knowledge on this forum simply amazes me. I really appreciate your comments and quick replies.

As a collector of anything militaria, I think I could live with the inscription provided that it was a Vet's service number, which to me would add to the story of the piece. However that wouldn't be the case if it's just some police / civilian scribble. To me it reads B1524209. Would that even be close to a US service number?

I did stumble across gunto art swords a while ago but didn't realise how close he was (1000kms away, but that's still close in terms of militaria collecting in Australia). He doesn't have too much in my price range online but I will send him an email anyway, especially with the Aussie Dollar freefalling against the USD.

There is a edged weapon and militaria fair coming up in my area at the end of the month which I have been looking forward to but I think I would be out of my depth looking for Gunto there. Plus the prices always seem to be several hundred dollars more than online.

Thanks again
    Alex

?

Hi Alex,

An email to Doug is worthwhile as he probably has more in than he lists. Particularly if they are standard as opposed to exotic.

As to the inscribed number I am unable to assist in that regard.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast