Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help please with translation on naval proficiency award

Article about: Hi all, I’m hoping for help from the members in translating this 1st class naval proficiency award. Does the kanji indicate what proficiency badge was awarded and the date? I’m sorry if

Default Help please with translation on naval proficiency award

Help please with translation on naval proficiency awardHelp please with translation on naval proficiency awardHelp please with translation on naval proficiency awardHelp please with translation on naval proficiency award
    Hi all, I’m hoping for help from the members in translating this 1st class naval proficiency award. Does the kanji indicate what proficiency badge was awarded and the date? I’m sorry if the images loaded upside down.
    Thank you all so very much for your expertise.
    Tom

Hi Tom,

大正七年海軍戦術賞
    Taishō 7th Year [1918] Naval Tactical Prize/Award

Article by Nick Komiya.

I originally thought that fourth kanji was -- no way I could see it as ; but .... "due dilligence" shows it is the seal-script for .
    Help please with translation on naval proficiency award

-- Guy

Just one correction in Kanji 大正七年海軍戦技賞

Thank you both (Guy and Nick), very much. I don't know what this forum would do without you!
    Tom
    Is the kanji on the box lid a name?

The lid reads Pure Silver Cup 

In the 1918 Combat Skills Competition, there were 4 grades of prizes won by the contestants, which were all presumably silver cups and for gunners, results were announced on 18th November 1918. What class of cup you could win was dependent on the caliber of the gun and your role within the gun crew team. 4th class went to 8 cm gunners. I would assume class 1 cups were the largest in size, but the boxes carry no reference to what class they were (not to imply that a class 4 cup represented less skill than a class 1 cup). All that mattered was that you were a cup winner for your class of gun.

Of course these prizes were common to all navy skill tests, so the cup may have been won for some other discipline rather than gunning.

Thank you again Nick for your time and knowledge!
    I sincerely appreciate your help.
    Tom