Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with signature on sword Tsuba

Article about: Hello all I was hoping to get some help with the signature on this older sword Tsuba.It is an interesting piece and I am curious to learn more about it. Regards,Geoff

Default Help with signature on sword Tsuba

Hello all I was hoping to get some help with the signature on this older sword Tsuba.It is an interesting piece and I am curious to learn more about it.

Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with signature on sword Tsuba  

?

Hi

I think Leeds amours will identify the sword smith for you if you send them a rubbing of the signature. They will tell you how old it is and were in japan it was made . Its a nice peace its got that elegant yet simple look that Japanese do so well.
    If that's any help

?

Hi just seen your from Louisiana so i should say that's The Royal Armouries in Leeds in the UK

甫掃
    Hosō

Phew! That was a tough one. Found him in Markus Sesko's book, p.136: Genealogies of Japanese Tsuba and Tôsô-kinkô Artists. (Edit Note: you might have to click and expand the GoogleBook link for p.137 to fully open.)

Hopefully one of the WR members can tell you more, now that the maker is identified. I can't find anything else about him on Google.

--Guy

Thank you very much ghp95134 and Robin these give me a starting point perhaps some of the more knowledgeable Nihonto collectors will have some additional information on this Artist Hoso.... and his style of work.

Looking around some more ... the people at Nihonto Message Board say that 甫掃 is pronounced "Masanobu". [Note: not to be confused with 正信 "Masanobu"]
    Here's a fuchi with his signature and kao:

Quote by K Morita
    Hoso is read as Masanobu (Matsumoto Masanobu). 松本 甫掃
    Edo period artist in Shinshu province.

According to that image clip, his civil name was:
    松本喜兵衛
    Matsumoto Kihei
    (1780)

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with signature on sword Tsuba  
    Last edited by ghp95134; 11-04-2015 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to add images by using the "Attachments" Button

Thank you very much! your help is always greatly appreciated! Geoff

Signatures of kodogu artisans are written and pronounced differently than kanji used by swordsmiths. Congratulations to Guy on getting this mei correct.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob,

I have a hard enough time with swordsmiths .... dunno if I wish to venture into the kodogu field.

--Guy