Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help with Signed WW2 Japanese Sword

Article about: Hi all, I'm new to collecting and was wondering if someone can help me identify this Japanese Sword. It is signed and marked and I also found some sort of stamp. Any help you can give would

?

Aside from what Bob has said I'll add that although your blade is nice the fittings are not high quality. Nothing wrong with them but there were higher quality grades available. On the plus side, and keeping it in simple English, is the "groove" along the length of the blade. Although not unheard of they were far less often applied to factory swords. The scabbard too has seen better days.

My comments should not be taken as any sort of criticism of the piece. In fact it's a fine example of an iconic piece of Japanese militaria. They do however apply to your question on value. I'd suggest that in the current market the sword would be worth about 800 USD provided the blade is both free of nicks to the cutting edge and any twists or bends.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Great information from you guy's, thanks for the crash course.

Hey Stu, very grateful for putting a number on it. I always find it helpful to know the range while hunting for the holy grail. About the groove, uncommon? could it be because its an officers sword? and if it was more complete or in better condition, would it be worth more or is this somewhat the common range. I'm searching for something my kids could fight over when I'm gone, something that keeps going up in value, I guess something in better condition or rare. Anyways, thanks all, I'm hooked and hopefully will have more to share.

MAP
    ?

Quote by kypo View Post
    Great information from you guy's, thanks for the crash course.

Hey Stu, very grateful for putting a number on it. I always find it helpful to know the range while hunting for the holy grail. About the groove, uncommon? could it be because its an officers sword? and if it was more complete or in better condition, would it be worth more or is this somewhat the common range. I'm searching for something my kids could fight over when I'm gone, something that keeps going up in value, I guess something in better condition or rare. Anyways, thanks all, I'm hooked and hopefully will have more to share.
    Don't worry. Keep it clean and in good condition and they will fight over this one. And yes, it will go up in value. As time marches on, more and more of the things we collect get lost to the ravages of time...but then again nothing is guaranteed.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The hi or groove in your sword was a special order by the owner. For some swordsmen, the hi offers balance to the blade. It could possibly have been added after he received this blade. The hi also makes a distinctive "woosh" sound when the blade is swung by an experienced individual.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2