Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help with Tang Translation

Article about: Hello all,I have a sword tang I could use a little help with as far as Translation I would greatly appreciate it! Regards,Geoff

Is there any way to determine if this mei is that of the Seki Ju Kanefuji who was awarded 5th Seat "Up-and-Coming" at the 6th Shinsaku Nihonto Denrankai in 1941? Were there any other contemporary smiths with this same name? Regards,Geoff

I was looking through the Rikugun Jumei Tosho swordsmiths list under the "Known From Literature Sources" compiled by Jinsoo Kim and found the name Fujii Kanefuji. ghp5134 stated earlier the swordsmith of my blade's Civil name was Fujii Torao and the name in the list also begins with Fujii. My question is "Would this also be where the Fugii in Fujii Kanefuji came from in the list?" or is that someone completely different?? (I sure hope that makes sense???) Regards,Geoff

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    ...ghp5134 stated earlier the swordsmith of my blade's Civil name was Fujii Torao and the name in the list also begins with Fujii. My question is "Would this also be where the Fugii in Fujii Kanefuji came from in the list?" or is that someone completely different?? (I sure hope that makes sense???) Regards,Geoff
    Geoff, my rather limited understanding is it is the same smith. By incorporating his family name with his art name, Fujii Kanefuji could be distinguished from another Kanefuji; sometimes he signed "Fujii Kanefuji," other times he signed "Kanefuji." Dunno if there was another Showa-era Kanefuji; if not, maybe he wanted to be distinct from earlier Kanefujis.

Hopefully others with more knowledge will let us know.

--Guy

Great day today!I received the Koshirae with the fresh wooden Tsunagi for the Kanefuji that I sent off for polish shortly after posting the earlier part of this thead! Now the wait for the return of the blade itself begins! Word is, because the blade was in relativity good condition it should not take as long as a sword that has many condition issues. None the less..The waiting is the hard part, and I will try to focus on other things.I thought I would document the progress as it unfolds for those who are interested. I hope everyone is having a nice beginning to the New Year! Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Tang Translation   Help with Tang Translation  

Help with Tang Translation  

MAP
    ?

Nice Geoff. Who is doing the polish?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Woodrow Hall at Bushido in Hawaii was kind enough to undertake the project for me.

I am very excited my new toy will be here very soon! The polisher was kind enough to send me some very nice comments and photos of the blade!! I cant wait to have it in hand!!! A before and after!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Tang Translation   Help with Tang Translation  

^^^^what he said^^^^

I missed your January post. This is great news. What news did you find out about the smith?

--Guy

Hey Guy! I am somewhat confused because I have found conflicting information about the ratings of Sword smiths or at least the opinions of the rankings
    here are two quotes from another forum that refer to the titles.

CHUGE SAKU (中下作)", that means "below average". In that case, "ge" means "inferior".

"Chu-jo saku." Chu means "middle" and "jo" means "superior." So this is a middle-superior smith, which is an awkward way of saying "above average."

I would be happy to have any clarification or opinions.In any case I am excited to see the finished product!! Regards,Geoff

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast