Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help with Tang Translation

Article about: Hello all,I have a sword tang I could use a little help with as far as Translation I would greatly appreciate it! Regards,Geoff

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    Hey Guy! I am somewhat confused because I have found conflicting information about the ratings of Sword smiths or at least the opinions of the rankings
    here are two quotes from another forum that refer to the titles.

CHUGE SAKU (中下作)", that means "below average". In that case, "ge" means "inferior".

"Chu-jo saku." Chu means "middle" and "jo" means "superior." So this is a middle-superior smith, which is an awkward way of saying "above average."

I would be happy to have any clarification or opinions.In any case I am excited to see the finished product!! Regards,Geoff
    Yes, the translations can be confusing. Here's what I copied from Dr. Kim's website -- with some arbitrary "free translation" on my part [e.g., the "guild" ranks master craftsman, journeyman, etc. that I render in green]. Remember, I'm not an art-sword expert, and these war-time ranks might already be definitively translated.

High Honor Seats:
    S: 特別名譽席(鍛刀總匠) Special Honor Position (Overall/Comprehensive Sword Smiths)
    1: 國工 Kokushō / National Artisan
    2: 準國工 Jun-Kokushō / Semi-National Artisan
    3:優秀 Yūshū / Superior
    4:佳作 Kasaku / Honorable Mention
    5: 新進 Shinshin / Up-and-Coming

Rankings
    最上作 Saijō saku; Superior
    = 神品の列 Shinpin no Retsu; inspired works/ Master Craftsman [literally, "works of god"]

上上作 Jōjō saku; High-Level Work
    = 貴品上位 Kibin Jō-i; Valuable works, upper rank/ Master Craftsman

上作 Jō saku; Upper-Level Work
    = 貴品の列 Kibin no Saku; Valuable work /Journeyman

中上作 Chū-jō saku; Mid Upper-Level level Work
    = 上工の上位 Jōko no Jō-i Artisan, Upper rank

中作 Chū saku; Mid-level Work
    = 上工の列 Jōko no Retsu; Artisan rank

中下作 Chū-ge Saku; Lower Mid-level Work
    = 良工の上位 Ryōkō no Jō-i; Craftsman, Upper Rank

下作 Ge Saku; Lowest Work
    = 良工の列 Ryōkō no Retsu; Craftsman

Hopefully experts can correct any errors I've inadvertently made.

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post

中下作 Chū-ge Saku; Lower Mid-level Work
    = 良工の上位 Ryōkō no Jō-i; Craftsman, Upper Rank
    Hmmmm .... looking at this the following morning -- after a few hours of sleep -- and paying more attention to grammatical structure -- I think I'm wrong on this one.

Perhaps the second-to-last rating could be more accurately rendered as:
    下作 Chū-ge Saku; Mid Lower-level Work

It looks like this rating means "upper lower-level" but the "upper lower" phrasing is oxymoronic, so "mid lower-level" is used.

Anyone?
    Bueller? Bueller?

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Tang Translation  

?

Well Geoff , from the sneak preview it looks like your patience has been rewarded , what an excellent finish Woodrow has put on your blade . Along with you , I look forwards to seeing the whole blade again.... reborn !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks Guy,I really appreciate your digging into this one! To have been one of the "Newer kids on the block" had to have been quite terrifying for a smith! Just to be acknowledged as a "Craftsman" would have been quite an honor in my humble opinion..At least from my skewed perspective. Does anyone know if Fuji Kanefuji survived the war and continued as a swordsmith after the war?

For your information, tamahagane is made from traditional sand iron ore and was used for hand crafted blades during the war. In 1979, I had the opportunity to visit the tatara forge in central Japan where tamahagane was produced in a traditional manner. It was reopened in the late 1970's by the NBTHK and the product distributed to contemporary sword smiths. To the best of my knowledge, it is still in operation today.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you very much Bob! I know that swords were considered weapons in Japan and that they were required to be registered or destroyed,But was the production of tamahagane restricted or forbidden ? Regards,Geoff

Sorry I did not mention that the forge was established in 1937 by the IJA. There was a Shinto tori there with a date of Showa ju schichi nen carved in to it. At the end of the war, it was closed. When reopened in 1978(I believe). there were only two artisans still alive who had worked there and knew how the process worked.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Well after a wait that went by faster than expected.."Good things come to those who wait" I received the Fuji Kanefuji blade back from Woodrow Hall at Bushido in Hawaii.and I am VERY happy with the results! just wanted to post a couple of quick pics, forgive the lack of quality,I just wanted to share a few pics!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Tang Translation   Help with Tang Translation  

Help with Tang Translation  

?

Fantastic that you have invested in this blade Geoff ! Woodrow has given it a new lease of life and it looks great . I am well pleased for you .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Geoff,
    You might have already gotten an answer to your question, but according to Sesko:

"KANEFUJI (兼藤), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanefuji” (兼藤), real name Fujii Torao (藤井虎夫), born April 17th 1917, he worked as a guntō smith and died Februar 21st 1967, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide), Fifth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)"

Sesko didn't list him as an RJT smith, but he is listed in the RJT list at JAPANESE RIKUGUN JUMEI TOSHO SWORDSMITHS. The star confirms it, and that this was a gendaito blade.

This is the only star-stamped Kanefuji blade I have seen, and now have on file.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast