Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help to translate a sword Blade please

Article about: Hello guys, it's me again with another request.......The chap I "swapped" some bits with for that Wakasaki the other day, phoned me this morning and asked if I wanted anymore. He g

It is not uncommon for strokes and even complete kanji to disappear with blades from this era due to the slight depth of the signature. This may end up being a piece that can only be read in hand or maybe not at all. By the way, is this a katana or a wakizashi?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    It was free
    Well you can't beat that!!!!!
    I look forward to some pic's of the naval dirk!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

This has to be one of the hardest items I've tried to photograph, but I have done my best, I've played about a bit with one of the photos in photoshop, but I'm not sure if it helps, and to answer your question Bob, it is a Katana. tired, chipped sad, but history all the same, and for free, I think it's worth saving it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to translate a sword Blade please   Help to translate a sword Blade please  

Help to translate a sword Blade please   Help to translate a sword Blade please  

Help to translate a sword Blade please   Help to translate a sword Blade please  

This was the other blade that I got for free that came with it, nothing special I expect, but again, a nice piece of history, thanks for all of your help so far fellas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to translate a sword Blade please   Help to translate a sword Blade please  

The first character of the maker's name is mitsu. Unfortunately, the second one is unreadable to me.
    BOB

KagaMitsu was a famous make from Osafune, Bizen provence i believe...

Quote by hassiman View Post
    KagaMitsu was a famous make from Osafune, Bizen provence i believe...
    Very true but he lived nearly 300 years before this blade was made. There were other smiths from Bizen of the same name. On this blade, the first character is Mitsu, not Kage.
    BOB

So what date would you put this one at Bob?...................................... and it might be a candidate to try out my waterstone nothing ventured, nothing gained

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    So what date would you put this one at Bob?...................................... and it might be a candidate to try out my waterstone nothing ventured, nothing gained
    Hi John-
    from what I have seen from your images, I believe the blade is late 15th or 16th c. This was during the warring period in Japan when a great number of blades were produced from low end mass produced blades known as kazu uchi mono to middle grade swords to high end custom order blades. By the type of mei on your blade, I would place this in the middle category. I will try and read the date later as today has been very busy. The shape of the blade helps with era identification. It also appears that a good amount of steel has been taken off the upper third of the blade due to battle damage.
    BOB

So, it's been a while, and I have done the unthinkable......I have "cleaned" the blade a little to try and see if anyone can pinpoint a date on it, if you remember before, it was the last part that couldn't quite be seen properly. Hoping this will help......I have a Edo period handle for it, and a rough and ready Tsuba, seeing as it cost nowt. I don't think much harm has been done.....

Any help would be much appreciated from the true experts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast