Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help Wanted: Where to find NCO shin-gunto, Brass Tsuka/Handle

Article about: Sir, What you have there is not an NCO sword but in fact a late-war officer sword that was likely fabricated either in 1944 or 1945. Based on Dawson's research on these swords, I have come l

Default Re: Help Wanted: Where to find NCO shin-gunto, Brass Tsuka/Handle

Sir,

What you have there is not an NCO sword but in fact a late-war officer sword that was likely fabricated either in 1944 or 1945. Based on Dawson's research on these swords, I have come learn that the were made with this simple design due to increased consumption on the battlefield from the Sino-Japanese conflict. With the exception of the Habaki, your sword appears to be made of iron and steel which would be consistent with this model.

?

What do you know about the flag?

?

Thank you for your quick reply by the way.

Chad

I can't read Japanese but others I have seen are generally captured flags. Generally the writing on these flags was by the family and friends of soldiers (Imperial Japanese) going off to war. i'm no expert on this so i would have someone translate the writing for you and perhaps take it to an expert to see if you can get more detail.

?

I thought I read somewhere that the wave in the blade indicated that it would have been made by hand. Is that false?

P.S - The sword you have is not super valuable however it is not worthless either. It is worth between $700 - $1200 in an auction unless the blade was hand made and based on the pictures this would appear to be machine made. If I were you I would not sell it as these are pretty cool pieces of history and the market for them appears to be growing as of late, not to mention that it has been passed on to you be a loved one.

?

Thank you so much for your help. I was not looking to sell this one but just wanted to see if I could find out more information. You have been very helpful.

Thanks again

?

The sword, a Type 3 Shin-gunto, used by Japanese Army Officers, appears to be in good condition. If you wish to dismantle it to determine what, if anything, might be on the nakago (tang) let me know and I will guide you through it.

The flag, a Yosegaki Hinomaru (Good Luck Flag) was carried by soldiers after having it signed by friends and family and perhaps blessed at shrines to bring them luck in battle. There are a few members here who will assist you with the translation. Just give it a couple days.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by CWESS View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the wave in the blade indicated that it would have been made by hand. Is that false?
    The wave in the blade, or hamon, is not confirmation of being hand made. It can be present on other categories of Japanese edged weapons.

Regards,
    Stu

CWESS - Listen to Stu, he's way more knowledgeable than I. Based on all of my many days of reading, examining these swords, and trolling forums my understanding is that very few of these late model swords were hand made. The hamon is present in many machine made blades through different techniques. If you want to know more about the sword, your best bet is to CAREFULLY take off the handle to check for arsenal markings or signature of a maker should it exist.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast