Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help with writing on a flag

Article about: Hello everyone, Can I please get help with the writing on this flag. I am trying to figure out what is written on it, in hopes of authenticating this flags time period. Thanks to anyone who

?

Default Help with writing on a flag

Hello everyone, Can I please get help with the writing on this flag. I am trying to figure out what is written on it, in hopes of authenticating this flags time period. Thanks to anyone who can offer assistance or insight.

Paul G-Help with writing on a flag

?

Chen on WAF has offered a nice translation, which follows:

That is a Chinese poem written by someone who knows Chinese. So I guess those writing is done by a Chinese. No idea is the flag itself is period made.
    App. meaning:
    1. After ten thousand miles of travel to war, get the merit of success back.
    2. Now my face bears the scar of war
    3. The old and young ones now can cherish the ten thousand years of peace.
    4. The beautiful full sunrise now fills up the city.
    5. The ground supporting unit is finally back

I am curious if anyone can tell me if this is a commemorative flag? If so, is it post war? Thank you for your help,

Paul G-Help with writing on a flag

It's a Chinese poem (but written by a Japanese) about the victorious returning soldiers seeing the welcoming party everywhere who's cheering "banzai" and waving the red sun national flags. It's not a commemorative flag.
    Last edited by Sporter90; 02-06-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Quote by Paul G View Post
    ....That is a Chinese poem written by someone who knows Chinese. So I guess those writing is done by a Chinese.
    Chinese poetry was then -- and still is -- studied by the Japanese educated class.

--Guy

I wonder if Nick knows what the 5th line is? Thanks!

I'm fresh out of hospital and with a headache, so excuse me for only examining the 5th line as requested. A clearer photo should reveal that it says 上海方面根拠地隊XX, "Shanghai district garrison", followed by a name. They are not to be confused with the Shanghai SNLF, but are NLF nonetheless.

However, the name of the author does not seem to match any of the commanders I know from the unit. Proceed with caution.

If only the guy in the neighboring bed could have had the courtesy to turn the TV down before starting to snore.

Commanders for the unit were.

樋口修一郎 少将:1939年11月15日 -
    小林仁 少将:1940年11月15日 -
    平岡粂一 少将:1941年5月1日 -
    牧田覚三郎 少将:1941年9月15日 -
    大野一郎 少将:1942年2月14日 -
    畠山耕一郎 少将:1943年6月1日 -
    鈴木長蔵 少将:1944年3月20日 -
    森徳治 少将:1944年8月18日 - 終戦
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 02-06-2019 at 08:12 PM.

?

Thank you so much for your time and talent Nick, I hope you feel better soon! Also, Thank You Guy and Sporter for adding to this thread. its all very interesting to me.

Paul G-

The XX may be saying X 於, meaning "at X", a geographical location in China, instead of an author's name, in which case we have no means of matching the handwriting to a name, in order to authenticate the flag. In that case, it is all too easy to fake this flag (all you need is a guy with calligraphy talent), making this a very high risk purchase. I would not touch it.

?

The calligraphy is beautiful!

It’s a pity it can’t be tied down conclusively to the period.

Get well soon Nick!

Regards

Russ

?

Thanks again Nick for the additional insight. After your first reply, I was thinking of additional questions about the flag, which you have now cleared up for me. I appreciate you being available to discuss this flag, especially when you don't care for the "translate this for me" threads. Your insight into Japanese military and cultural context is truly invaluable! I consider it an honor anytime you can add to a thread I have started.

Paul G-