Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request

Article about: Hello, I would be grateful if someone could translate this flag. Sorry for the flag being wrinkled in some of the photos as I had to rely on someone else to take the photos-hopefully they wi

Default There's a lot here I can't help with.

武運長久
    Bu'un Chōkyū
    Continued Luck in the Fortunes of War

高木軍*中将
    Takaki Gun* Chūjō
    Lt General **Takaki

中尉
    chūi - Second Lieutenant

皇風遍六合
    Imperial Influence Spreads [through] the universe [???]

六合 【りくごう】 (n) the universe; the cosmos

Seals:
    勤武糸
    *山道*
    引順

the above seals are hard to make out because an ancient form of kanji is used for seals. These are the artist's motto and his two art-name seals. The long one is generally a motto and is placed at the beginning of the work; in this case it is 勤武糸 and appears to mean "working military thread" (thread showing connection, probably). I'm missing the nuance, obviously.

The other two are part of the art-name and come at the conclusion of the art/calligraphy

#2 mentions mountain road -- I just cannot figure out the other kanji there.

#3 I'm pretty sure of, means to "pull a turn" .... but I don't understand the nuance.

Hopefully Mr. Chen will let me know if I mistook the kanji 遍 and made a mess of things.

--Guy

?

Need to see clear photo of purple area.Hinomaru Flag with shrine stamps translation assistance request
    Thanks Guy for his detail translation.

Thank You Guy and Mr. Chen for your translation work. I should have the flag in my possession on Tuesday. I will be able to post better quality close-up photos.

See Below for updated photos

photos uploaded on November 20th, 2017
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 11-22-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks to everyone for helping with the translation of this flag. I really appreciate it! I have attached better quality photos below with the correct orientation of the flag. Also, I have numbered the flag to help identify the kanji and the stamps. See pages 2 and 3 of this thread for updated photos.

-Darren
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 11-26-2017 at 05:27 AM.

?

Further look at those better photos but do not reveal much information.

- - ------- - -

- - ------- - -

- - ------- - -

- - ------- - -

I will ignore the stamps which are not oriented correctly. Sorry, but it is too much to download them all and turn them around the way they should be for reading. The main slogan meant "Imperial Winds will reach all corners of the Earth" (the reference to the number 6 means the 4 compass directions plus heaven and earth). That slogan calligraphy was provided by Medical Lt. General Takaki, who might very well be the famous Father of Vitamins

However, he already died in 1920 and no first names are mentioned, so further research is required to determine whether it is from WW1 or the Siberian Intervention.

No. 3 is a 1st Lt. Iiyama and there are further a 2nd Lt and Colonel signing, the Colonel contributing the expected Everlasting Fortunes in Battle.

The name of the colonel is fairly critical, as a general and colonel together should normally pinpoint things.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast