Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hinomaru Yosegaki

Article about: Hi Guys, this one came into work today. Never been in a collection before. It has come from an estate sale. But as you can see, at some point in time it was cut up (!) and then re-sewn back

Default Hinomaru Yosegaki

Hi Guys, this one came into work today.

Never been in a collection before. It has come from an estate sale. But as you can see, at some point in time it was cut up (!) and then re-sewn back together.

I would really like to get some idea of what the Kanji says.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hinomaru Yosegaki   Hinomaru Yosegaki  

Hinomaru Yosegaki   Hinomaru Yosegaki  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Rod
    ?

Hi Adrian,

It appears the center is sewn in upside down. It should read 武運長久 Buun Choukyuu "Good Fortune in Battle". Shame about the hatchet job.

Rod

How in HELL (!) could someone sew that upside down?????

Typical "Eternal Luck in the Fortunes of War" motto at top.
    武運長久
    Buun Chōkyū

The person given the flag might be the larger font at the (now) 12:00 position -- upsidedown... I think it is
    原忠次
    Hara Tadatsugu

But then again, at the 3:00 o'clock position another writer wishes prayers for eternal luck on the battlefield to Mr. Kimuro, then follows up saying something about Roosevelt, Churchill, and Chiang Kai-Shek

木室君の武運長久を祈る ルーズベルト チャーチル 蒋介石
    Kimuro-kun no Buun Chōkyū wo inoru .... Roosevelt, Churchill, Chiang Kai-shek ..... [I can't make out the rest].

Bottom right:
    天皇陛下万歳
    Ten'nō Heika Banzai
    His Majesty the Emperor: Hurrah!! [10,000 years]

8:30 o'clock:
    Land of the Gods [Japan] Shall Not Fail
    神国不減
    Shinkoku Fugen

9:00 o'clock:
    七生奉国
    Shisei Houkoku
    Dedicate Seven Lives for the Country

It would be an interesting project to reassemble this flag in Photoshop .... I might try tomorrow if I have time; though, it looks like there are still some pieces missing from this "Frankenstein." Also, it looks like smaller pieces were stitched together -- not just the larger pieces. Maybe some angry ex-wife?????

--Guy

It is unbelievable that some idiot cut this piece up and then did such a poor job putting it back together.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks guys!

I was shocked to to see this. The lady who bought it says the family threw away the Vets medals! That kind of says it all....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Unfortunately I see quite a few pieces that have been "Fixed Up" Perhaps a talented seamstress could help remove the stitches and at least get what is still there back in the proper position it would still look great in a frame. A really neat layout! Regards,Geoff

Here's at least a digital restoration. The latter half of the Roosevelt thing says "it's too late to regret". The usual slogans, but no real meat that allows research into it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hinomaru Yosegaki  

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Here's at least a digital restoration. The latter half of the Roosevelt thing says "it's too late to regret". The usual slogans, but no real meat that allows research into it.
    Hooray for Nick! Good job on digitally fixing the flag; and, thanks for fleshing out the "Three Allied Leaders Curse"®™©

--Guy

Hi Nick, thanks very much!

Cheers, Ade.