Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hinomaru Yosegaki flag for review ---

Article about: New to this field, although I have read lots of threads and gawked at quite a few online this year, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this particular example. This one was a

Default "Tojo" Flag

Yeah, this is the so-called "Tojo" flag with his putative signature at the bottom right: 東條 英機

Tōjō Hideki

--Guy

Quote by tomp View Post
    Definitely Seabee special or similar, done with non-Japanese hand.
    Tom, I agree with you 100%, but would like to say that whomever did the kanji knew how to write. There are a few that are clumsy, but some are quite well-done like the [To~] part of Tojo's name. Much better than the ones that are just a bunch of lines and shapes thrown together.

--Guy

The center bottom of the flag says 軍用 "Military Use"

Gun'yō

--Guy

?

Why are these 2 flags so identical? The location of the kanji is almost the same, with the same angles. The kanji looks almost identical to me, same colour difference.

We're these flags printed out, then filled in? Was there like a pattern, then fill in the blanks?

If they were made in the rear for souvenirs, how can these two be so identical? Looks like the same person done both of them, and only changed a few words?

Hi,

Please take a look at my thread:

Tojo Flag Alert !

Hope that will help answer some of the questions.

Regards,
    Taka

Quote by visor View Post
    Why are these 2 flags so identical? The location of the kanji is almost the same, with the same angles. The kanji looks almost identical to me, same colour difference.

If they were made in the rear for souvenirs, how can these two be so identical? Looks like the same person done both of them, and only changed a few words?
    Yeah, I think you hit upon the answer; both were probably done by the same person. The difference -- to me -- is that the ink is a bit thicker on one than on the other.

Someone either here or on WAF posted a Stars & Stripes Newspaper photo (I think?) showing a Seabee (?) production line in a paint shop. As I recall, the caption was something like "Seabees making Jap souvenirs" or something similar.

Never underestimate a GI's ability to separate money from his brother-in-arms!!

--Guy

?

Taka and Guy, you are a wealth of information. I just found 2 more identical on line. Very interesting subject, never knew these even existed. Must have cranked them out.

?

Also Swords was made by locals after the war and sold as war trophys.

Rod
    ?

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    Hi,

Please take a look at my thread:

Tojo Flag Alert !

Hope that will help answer some of the questions.

Regards,
    Taka
    Such a great couple of threads!

Visor, nice work making the connection between the two flags!

Taka-san, thank you for the link to the other thread and the terrific information.

I don't know if it's just me but the Tojo flags orientation all seems vertical and most genuine flags horizontal (by that I mean the writer is facing the wide part up for horizontal and the narrow part for vertical).

Are there known copies of genuine Hinomaru or are they always fictional?

Thanks, Rod

Thanks to all contributors for the great info! I think I DID read that Tojo Flag thread some time ago but somehow I never connected it to the one I posted for review --- strange seeing as they are all practically identical. They must have use some kind of weaker, easily solluble dye for the red sun in the two example posted in this thread... as noted I guess these are collectible in their own right but not what I'm looking for either way.

But, yeah... now I KNOW what to look out for! The next one I find will definitely be posted up for review as well before I make any decisions---

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast