Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

Article about: From the appearance of the paint(which looks legitimate) I don't know if there ever Was an anchor emblem on this helmet. Can you see any traces of one in hand?

Default Re: How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

From the appearance of the paint(which looks legitimate) I don't know if there ever Was an anchor emblem on this helmet. Can you see any traces of one in hand?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hey Wagriff, on the shell itself I can't see any outline or any signs of an anchor being present at some point. there is a small insert where it would have been though.

?

I am no expert on IJA/IJN helmets, but the cover looks like it might be 1st pattern. Is the depot stamp on the interior of the cover filled in with a name by chance? Another place you might want to look for evidence of past insignia presence might be where the liner band passes over the area where the slot is in the front of the helmet. There might be a couple of indentation markings where the insignia prongs were first placed when the insignia was added to the helmet. If you want, you might want to submit your pics. and questions on other forums and boards where the focus is on helmet collecting. There is an excellent Japanese headgear board at German Helmet Walhalla with several advanced Japanese helmet collectors posting there. They could also contribute their thoughts to the overall value of your helmet as well. Just a thought.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Here is a photo of the interior stamp.

This is a very nice helmet. Great score ! Check out 'The Collector's Guild'.
    There are two helmets on the site which are similar to yours.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks for the pic. Cover looks to be unissued, originally from out of the Sasebo Naval depot, located about an hour or so outside of Nagasaki city.

Tom

I really appreciate everybody's help, Thanks!

Here is a photo of the liner band at the front of the helmet. It has a slight tear in it, could this be a sign the anchor insignia was mounted on the helmet at some point?

Regards,
    Corey

?

It seems that would be a good sign, but, at least for myself, I don't know enough about Japanese helmets to say definitively that such evidence is what you are looking for.

Tom

Well guys, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I found out today this helmet has been repainted post war. I'm still not sure on the liner. The good news is the cover is authentic and valued at twice as much as I payed for the pair. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the helmet, but I'm contemplating removing the paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2