Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IJA Cap

Article about: Thought i'd share this with everyone. It is what i believe to be a warrant officers cap in the Imperial guards. I bought it a few years ago now, as it caught my eye at the time and i fancied

?

Default IJA Cap

Thought i'd share this with everyone.
    It is what i believe to be a warrant officers cap in the Imperial guards.

I bought it a few years ago now, as it caught my eye at the time and i fancied it alot.
    I know very little about hats/caps/helmets in general, but i do enjoy looking at other members posts and pictures when they put them up.

It is a thick green felt with a short peak. Rank insignia are sewn onto the front sides aswell.
    The strap is broken and appears very fragile.
    It looks like it has an inner liner missing, but i'm not too sure as i'm no expert when it comes to caps and such.

This cap displays what i tried to convey in the thread on the generals tassel. That is the star and imperial guards insignia were originally in a gold (or possibly parts in silver) 'bullion' thread embroidery, which has faded with the passing of time. It now appears to the naked eye as a greyish colour.

I know there are some fellow collectors here who know their stuff with these caps and i'd be interested to hear some comments and hopefully learn a bit more about this cap, and how to properly preserve/store/display it maybe.
    Cheers
    Ern
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJA Cap   IJA Cap  

IJA Cap   IJA Cap  

IJA Cap   IJA Cap  

IJA Cap   IJA Cap  

IJA Cap   IJA Cap  

IJA Cap   IJA Cap  

IJA Cap  

Never seen one before

?

That is nice Ern and quite a rarity being adorned with an Imperial Guards cap emblem !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Rod
    ?

Hi Ern,

I think it's likely all the insignia were applied post war or upon retirement. The Imperial Guard's cap badge was a star over a wreath, I'm not sure what yours is although it's no doubt related to the Imperial family in some way.

I believe all the bullion would have been gold/yellow foil originally. The cloth backing on officer's bullion star would most probably be intended for a cap of a similar color.

Just an opinion but I think someone pimped this cap with items from his or a relatives past.

Regards, Rod

?

I agree with Rod. Those insignias are post war enhancements. The bullion insignia is NOT Imperial Guard . They're insignia is a star with wreath

?

Thanks Rod and Jareth,
    i know... never buy on impulse! well, we all go there sometimes.
    Are any of the insignias genuine to the cap?
    Is there any significance to the stamp inside the cap?
    Would it of had a liner originally?
    and my last question is- has anyone come across the 'imperial seal' over the wreath logo before?
    Cheers
    Ern

The interior size stamp is (ko) for SMALL.

--Guy

Would never have had a liner mate...the insignia would most probably be period,but not to the hat..Ive seen various hats that have had insignia applied to them to commemorate their service..so the hat is not trying to be something its not,if you get my drift,its just being used as a "commemorative" item..ill be up in Tokyo in a few weeks see what i can find out about that main insignia

?

OK,
    Thanks guys for all your input, i appreciate it!
    Look forward to hearing from you wizard, about the logo
    Ern

Just thinking out loud, my bet would be on this being some sort of civil defense cap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast