Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

IJA Officer' s Cap with Field Made Flaps

Article about: Hi Guys, Would like to share my recent find. An IJA Officer's Cap with (I believe) theater made sun flaps. There is only one visible stamp inside the cap, 大 (Large). The chin cord are

Default IJA Officer' s Cap with Field Made Flaps

Hi Guys,

Would like to share my recent find. An IJA Officer's Cap with (I believe) theater made sun flaps.

There is only one visible stamp inside the cap, (Large). The chin cord are made with greenish (pig skin?) leather.

I know there are lots of fake example of the flaps, but I think this is not an issued piece but a period made piece.

Here are the photos:

IJA Officer' s Cap with Field Made Flaps IJA Officer' s Cap with Field Made Flaps

IJA Officer' s Cap with Field Made Flaps IJA Officer' s Cap with Field Made Flaps

Regards,
    Taka

Cheers Taka,
    This is one I'd like to add to my junk pile.
    Thanks for showing

I had a similar one many years ago when I was collecting Japanese but it was the standard tie or attach on sun neck protector I think you are right about it being a period attached field piece. Nice hat timothy

Bugger you passed it off!!!!

Thanks René-san, Timothy-san.

Believe it or not this is my first ever Army officers' hat. I was skeptical at first, but it looks good to me, so I bought it.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

I like it !!! It would look great next to my Type 38 & Type 99 rifles!!!!
    Great find!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

A very nice cap in great condition Taka-san , the havelocks to these and their attachments are forever a talking point as you know . The havelocks or neck flaps you show certainly seem to have been on the cap for a good while and have been well made with hems to the edges and reinforced stitching to the vulnerable areas . These have been machine stitched and have also been attached to the cap by machine . If theatre attached i would probably have expected them to be hand stitched to the cap . I am not saying this is not a period attachment at all as there are always variations ! From the pics they certainly show age , and nothing beats a hands on inspection and gut feeling just expressing some of my thoughts
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thank you, Alan-san!

I can understand because there are many fakes around, but with this one, it might have a chance of being field or theater attached. And the price was great, so without much hesitation, I got it.

Hope it can talk, as always. Well, I am happy that is in my collection!

Regards,
    Taka