Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

IJA Type 90 Helmet

Article about: Taka-san. Nice helmet, I would agree with most posts here on the chin straps, I would think that if somebody was trying to fake them, they would do a better job, so I would not change them e

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Hi Taka-san , that is a super type 90 shell and original emblem . The external paintwork is just how i would expect to see it with the swirl around the centre , it looks great with a nice liner . I do not like the chin strap , the weave of the material is not what i would expect to see . If you investigate the material and weave of the strap attachment that the kanji label is stitched to , this is how i would want the chin strap to be . If this is a field replacement i could not say . JMO
    Hi Alan-san,

Thank you.
    I know the chin strap is different than original, but it might be some kind of non offical replacement, there were field repairer for specialized in repairing soldier's uniforms and other damaged gears. The strap on my helmet seems been there for a long time, the some damages, (folded sweat stains), the black stitching also act as a stopper too. The original straps are not hard to get, so that doesn't bother me, at all.

Cheers!
    Taka

Thank you for the kind words, Taka!

I'd keep it as is... I wonder how many authentic pieces have been altered by collectors because their components didn't match the accepted norm? We seem to forget that things broke and needed replacing during wartime or that production changed and substitute standard items were introduced to overcome shortages in war materials.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thank you for the kind words, Taka!

I'd keep it as is... I wonder how many authentic pieces have been altered by collectors because their components didn't match the accepted norm? We seem to forget that things broke and needed replacing during wartime or that production changed and substitute standard items were introduced to overcome shortages in war materials.

Hi Joe , I'm certainly well aware of the points you make and take nothing away from the originality of the example shown , i'm just flagging up that imo , it wasn't issued in that condition ! When the chin strap was replaced , who knows ? I would certainly love that helmet if it was offered to me !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Very nice Type 90 and in great condition

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Hi Joe , I'm certainly well aware of the points you make and take nothing away from the originality of the example shown , i'm just flagging up that imo , it wasn't issued in that condition ! When the chin strap was replaced , who knows ? I would certainly love that helmet if it was offered to me !
    Hi Alan,

Didn't mean to step on your toes, I understood what you meant!! Taka mentioned that he could find a replacement chinstrap and I was trying to dissuade him from messing with his helmet!

Hi Joe-san,

I will never replace the chin strap, so no worries. I really like the way it is.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Hi Alan,

Didn't mean to step on your toes, I understood what you meant!! Taka mentioned that he could find a replacement chinstrap and I was trying to dissuade him from messing with his helmet!

Joe , you are certainly not stepping on my toes !! LOL . This forum is here for the purpose of like minded people to discuss militaria and share opinions and knowledge I love to see and value , as much input on this forum as possible and utilise it as a form of self education with the use of cross referencing . I am glad of your input Joe and you make valid remarks I myself have a symmetry with your outlook , as i also do not like to see things messed with !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I was told that the triangle mark indicates it was from Osaka Arsenal.

Regards,
    Taka

A fantastic example in fine condition. Congratulations Taka san
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you, Bob-san.

Regards,
    Taka

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast