Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

IJN Flag opinon

Article about: Trying to figure out what this navy flag is. However, my translation skills are not the best. I always get worried now when I see stamps on a flag now because of the "cupman" flags

Default IJN Flag opinon

Trying to figure out what this navy flag is. However, my translation skills are not the best. I always get worried now when I see stamps on a flag now because of the "cupman" flags. So any help would be helpful.

Charlie
    IJN Flag opinon

拓殖大學
    Takushoku Dai Gaku
    Takushoku University

I do not like the balance of the kanji .... they are written correctly, but the balance is wrong. Especially with the "radicals" on both the first two kanji [ and ]

Funny enough, the seal appears to also say Takushoku Dai Gakkō using the old seal-script. Still, I am very uncomfortable with this flag.

--Guy

This is what I mean by balance; note how well-balanced the kanji these are compared to the flag you posted:

Takushoku Cheerleaders

Don't get distracted by the legs ... I mean: by the new kanji used on the nobori above instead of the on the navy flag in the first post -- they both mean the same thing.

--Guy

Geeze ..... I'm kinda torn.

I can't clearly see the seal .... but I can read all but one kanji and it says
    拓殖大
    學海洋
    [?]之印

I'm betting dollars to doughnuts the missing kanji is 科. Did Takushoku U. have a Marine Department ... meaning "Ocean Research" .... not naval landing forces?

拓殖大
    學海洋
    科之印

Dunno why a Department would have it's official seal on a flag.

It feels a little fishy to me too. That corner kanji and stamp could have been added later. I guess I'll go safe and pass on this one.

Charlie