Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

IJN Navy Cap

Article about: Hello All,I have a IJN Naval cap and case I have had for awhile and thought I would post a few pics in hope I could get some help with the Kanji on the hat box and the label inside the hat.

Default IJN Navy Cap

Hello All,I have a IJN Naval cap and case I have had for awhile and thought I would post a few pics in hope I could get some help with the Kanji on the hat box and the label inside the hat. The hat tally I believe reads "Greater Nippon Imperial Navy" Here are a few pics of the whole rig with and without the white cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Navy Cap   IJN Navy Cap  

With White Cover
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Navy Cap   IJN Navy Cap  

Without Cover

Tag and Chinstrap

MAP
    ?

Beautiful Piece. Surprised something like this had a hat box.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hey Map I was surprised too,But it is definitely much lower quality than the Officers visor cap case I have.Perhaps there is more info on the label of the case that came with the "Donald Duck" hat?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Navy Cap  

?

I believe cardboard boxes were for navy peak caps. Enlisted were stored in round tin boxes with embossed cherry blossom. Perhaps the translation will clarify. It looks like similar kanji on box & label.

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    ...hope I could get some help with the Kanji on the hat box and the label inside the hat. The hat tally I believe reads "Greater Nippon Imperial Navy"....
    Yes, you're right, "Greater Japan Imperial Navy" tally:
    大日本帝国海軍
    Dai Nippon Teikoku Kaigun

The box has the same info as on the cap label:

呉徴機三五一四五
    Kure Chō-Ki 35145
    Kure-Draftee-Engineer 35145

徴 = 徴兵 Chouhei (draftee)
    機 = 機関兵 Kikan Hei (Engineer)

上機 I'm not certain about this rating, but based on this NCO rating for comparison
    一等機関兵曹:Stoker Petty Officer, 1st Class
    上機 is a contraction for 上等機関兵 Jōtō Kikan Hei (senior stoker seaman) Able seaman.

竹内 宏
    Takeuchi Hiroshi

More good info re IJN personal ID numbers from Nick another forum.

--Guy

?

Very nice set Geoff! Great photography as well!

Regards

Russ