Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

IJN Silver/nickel plated Helmet Anchor? Seen one of these before ?

Article about: I picked this up in an auction lot. It totally looks like a early brass anchor helmet, is not magnetic and is dull/flat nickel plated. The only thing different is that the bendable tabs are

Default IJN Silver/nickel plated Helmet Anchor? Seen one of these before ?

I picked this up in an auction lot. It totally looks like a early brass anchor helmet, is not magnetic and is dull/flat nickel plated. The only thing different is that the bendable tabs are cut at a slant, rather then squared off like my brass ones.

IJN Silver/nickel plated Helmet Anchor?  Seen one of these before ?

I've never owned one but a friend has one (but his nickel plating is half gone on the front of it). His also has the "slant cut" on the back tabs.

While researching this forum I came across Nicks article on the history of the development of the Army Type 90 and he has this photo of a nickel plated anchor on a IJN Model 1922 Cherry Blossom helmet!

Here is one more photo of one showing some field wear which was painted over at some point.

My question is: Do any other collectors have one like this or one that might have even come on a IJN helmet? If so does yours also have the slant cut on the backside? PLEASE POST SOME PHOTOS IF YOU HAVE ONE - I would love to know more about these and when these stopped being issued with IJN helmets.

LS

The first one pictured is a reproduction imo. The last one is a beauty!

Quote by Razorback76 View Post
    The first one pictured is a reproduction imo. The last one is a beauty!
    Hmm, why? The main difference on the vast majority of repro anchors is that the center "starburst" pattern is almost pentagonal in shape (this isn't) and the top anchor bar is the wrong length/shape on the right side (this isn't). I have had plenty of "good anchors" that are more flat in the center section then the painted raised one in the second picture. All steel patterned ones seem to be flat, brass more commonly raised. So what EXACTLY makes you conclude its a repro?

GOOD EXAMPLE:

JUST ONE OF MANY REPRO STYLES Examples:

The modern Repro BELOW is a style where they evolved the Repro design and corrected the pentagonal starburst shape but left other errors: 31 of these sold on Ebay as REPRODUCTIONs in the past couple of weeks - but once they are out there on helmets and or repainted it's caveat emptor (Latin for "Let the buyer beware".)

Scott, I'm open to opinions but before everyone just jumps on the "repro" bandwagon - What EXACT features are we talking about on the silver one? I'm into it cheap so no fear on my side of the final outcome either way

BTW, This is the level of analysis we should be talking about on this forum if it's going to have any value to other collectors

Adding picture of a SNLF soldier with a nickel anchor on the Type 90 shell

Last edited by Long Shot; 09-02-2019 at 05:50 PM.

It is a repro. For one thing, the center circle of the petals is too big.

?

Some example of good one

Good and fake

Quote by Sporter90 View Post
    It is a repro. For one thing, the center circle of the petals is too big.
    Okay, compared to ones Type 4 posted - the center hole it might be too big. But compared to the other silver one (with the raised center) it's not too big - looks about the same!

The issue is there are likely to be many manufacturers of these and slight differences??
    Wish Nick could find a spec on such a crazy thing?

I know originals are slightly curved to lie flush with the curvature of the helmet like Army stars, but are the fakes curved as well?

Quote by Long Shot View Post
    Okay, compared to ones Type 4 posted - the center hole it might be too big. But compared to the other silver one (with the raised center) it's not too big - looks about the same!

The issue is there are likely to be many manufacturers of these and slight differences??
    Wish Nick could find a spec on such a crazy thing?
    That one is too fuzzy for anything detail. I can't see its center circle well. Besides the center circle, my first impression of your badge is the silhouette is slightly off. You can compare it with the fuzzy silver badge. They are different.

One more thing. The details of your badge is too neat. Look at the details on the good badges.

?

I also think it is a reproduction. The detailing is extremely precise. And, I don’t think we want to give the fakers any more info on what they would need to correct do we?

Regards

Russ

?

Anither example of old fake

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast