MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

IJN Winter Fur Hat

Article about: I've always wanted one of these Navy winter fur hats but have never seen one come up for sale until recently. It is one of my favourite pieces of Japanese headgear. I hope you like it! Regar

The only thing that stands out to me as obviously weird is the name written on the tag, which may be a post war addition by a non-Japanese.

Assuming Guy's interpretation of the name to be correct, as I also cannot offer any other alternatives for that matter, it is an exceptionally rare name, which I couldn't even read until I looked it up. If such a rare name appears on many things at the same time, that is not comforting, as it can indicate postwar tampering by someone like Cupman's brother.

The name is written wrong, it does not have the correct stroke order, which should start with a vertical stroke like this, if written by a Japanese.

The onboard station tag on the other hand seems to be all in order. in a naval context normally refers to the engine room. Thus it was tagged to engine room storage 1.

Whether the name tag is original is key, so use a black light to check for glow. If it glows, it's all fake. No glow, then you might have an original, tampered with to make it look issued to earn issue points to raise collector interest.

?

Thanks for taking a look at this one Nick.

When I was considering buying this I sent some pics to Guy for a translation. I thought I had found another one of these hats with the same or similar kanji on the label, but after checking carefully, I now believe it is actually the same hat posted by another collector about six years ago. That may explain Guy’s comment about seeing the kanji before but I will leave that for him to recall if he can.

I will get a black light and do the test.

It is odd that it is named in two places as shown; once on the face mask, and once under the tack stitched blue ‘skull cap’, also where the issue label is placed.

I feel confident the item itself is original so this large kanji is very puzzling.

Once I’ve done the light test, I will post the result.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help.

Regards

Russ

立申as a name can be read Tateno, a very unusual name. But the same kanjis in reversed order 申立 is a common word in a legal context meaning to lodge a claim.

?

Thanks Nick. Just when I need my black light, I cannot find it!

I may have to get another one.

Regards

Russ

Quote by RussM View Post
    When I was considering buying this I sent some pics to Guy for a translation. I thought I had found another one of these hats with the same or similar kanji on the label, but after checking carefully, I now believe it is actually the same hat posted by another collector about six years ago. That may explain Guy’s comment about seeing the kanji before but I will leave that for him to recall if he can.....
    Ara! THAT's where I've seen this kanji before! Sheesh ... my memory is really bad, Russ .... sorry for not remembering.

I recall at first I thought it was 立中 because I could not see that third stroke until I enlarged the image.

--Guy

?

No problem Guy!

With the volume of translation work you and Nick do, it would be impossible for you both to remember everything!

Hopefully, a black light test later today!

Regards

Russ

?

So, I got a new black light today.

The not so good news is, I found out that one of my dogs has peed in my collecting room!

But the good news is that the hat does not glow anywhere, inside or out!

Here are a couple of pics taken on a white towel.

This still leaves the mystery of the unusual kanji name and the incorrect stroke order. But at least it is a genuine piece, and I am somewhat relieved in that regard. Another collector has confirmed to me today that this item was in his collection several years ago.

It seems curious, if it is a bogus addition, that a non-Japanese could happen upon such an unusual name to add to this hat?

I don't really know what to make of it.

If there are any more thoughts, please add them.

Regards

Russ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJN Winter Fur Hat   IJN Winter Fur Hat  

MAP
    ?

Good new Russ but a bad doggie!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I can't comment on the kanji but the cap and insignia are both one look perfectly correct. No black light needed. If the price was right I would not care if someone wrote on the tag. It's a beautiful example!

?

Thank you for your kind comments Razor, much appreciated!

Regards

Russ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast