Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"

Article about: Paratrooper it ain't. It's just one of the several Sarute designs. If an eagle design were a paratrooper's, what about other designs like the clamping hands Sarute, and the floral Sarute? Ca

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Fakers fake stuff that they've already seen. So, the implication, even if the mon was a fake-job, is that they saw an original to copy. I'm not aware of totally original fakeries that had no basis in an original item. Maybe it's happened, I just am not aware of it.
    Then you are obviously not aware that the so-called naval paratrooper patch you show in post 8 is a famous fake that never existed, despite having been prominently introduced in American books . It's done all the time , fakes not based on reality, and are called "fantasy pieces". No such emblem with parachute ever existed and the emblem you show in post 16 is just postwar tampering as well.

?

That's an interesting "legend" regarding navy paratrooper round rating. I own an original US , wartime intelligence pamphlet/book on Japanese paratroopers & the patch is illustrated on the cover. I'd love to know why? Where'd they get the design illustration? I wonder if patch was a proposed design? I mean they didn't just make it up for the book cover

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Then you are obviously not aware that the so-called naval paratrooper patch you show in post 8 is a famous fake that never existed, despite having been prominently introduced in American books . It's done all the time , fakes not based on reality, and are called "fantasy pieces". No such emblem with parachute ever existed and the emblem you show in post 16 is just postwar tampering as well.
    Jareth has a quite interesting question on the patch issue, and I have no "skin-in-the-game" about the patch either way. I'm well aware of the vast number of industries dedicated to faking every aspect of militaria. And you, no doubt, have seem more of the "fantasy" type fakes, so I don't doubt theiry existance either. So thanks for the info in that regard.

As to the etched emblem, I think we can both agree that the only FACT we know about it, is that it exists. As to when it was done, that is speculation on either side of the issue, that certainly cannot be advanced from an oshigata in a photo from a book.

Shocking to learn that this piece of old news hasn't hit US shores yet. So here it is

Yes, Bruce, "it exists" in the same way as all fakes and fantasy pieces, but what significance does that fact have to serious collectors and scholars?

Excellent article on the patch, Nick, thank you!

As to the etched empblem, yours and my approaches to speculative issues are on opposite ends. When lacking evidence, you tend to default to the skeptic side, while I tend to default to the acceptance side. The important thing is that we both pursue the evidence to get at the truth. To your question, the significance of the etching only matters to guys who enjoy collecting such things. The them, it matters. It's something they value. Many of them rely on guys like us to weed out the fakes or verify the legitamate. I just enjoy the detective work!

Bruce, you have to go into the mindset of the WW2 Japanese soldiers. Having a parachute emblem on your sword while your peers don't have it, you're showing off and being arrogant. It was not an acceptable behavior then and probably still is not now. I think the exceptions maybe that you're the commander of the unit, and/or someone of the privileged background (royalty for example). Even then, you still have to think it again before putting emblem or symbol on your personal gear (sword included). You may leak military intel to the enemy!

So I don't believe that engraving on the pommel is legit, or at least am very skeptical about it.

p.s. Having a family crest (kamon) on your sword is a different matter. It was tradition. And, the location of the kamon is important too. You don't put it on the tang. That much is I know.

An example on a gunto with a blade made by a noted smith:
    http://www.好應沼田氏塚本一貫斎起正作之

Tsukamoto Ikkansai Okimasa made this on request of Mr. Numatamilitaria.co.za/nmb/topic/25357-help-with-mei-please/#entry285533
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"  

This type of lanyard loop can be on any sword and made by any smith. It's just one of the lanyard loops. You may call it special, rare, and many other things, but I don't believe it's specifically designed for paratroopers.

Absolutely nothing to do with paratroopers, but only a generic golden kite design. And besides, the golden kite emblem only became associated with paratroopers from October 13th 1943 and not before. Obviously those sarute designs predate that and should be seen on earlier swords as well.
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 03-11-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Good point guys.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast