Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringback

Article about: So this was brought back by my wife’s grandfather. He served on USS Maryland—he has long passed but reportedly traded packnof smokes for it from another shipmate. No idea what it says or wha

Default Imperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringback

So this was brought back by my wife’s grandfather. He served on USS Maryland—he has long passed but reportedly traded packnof smokes for it from another shipmate. No idea what it says or what it is for—maybe to wear around hat or something? Could be souvenir of sorts from some port. Just no idea and cant read japanese. Imperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringbackImperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringbackImperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringbackImperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringbackAny thoughts appreciated.

MAP
    ?

I've rotate it so our Japanese speakers can read it.

Imperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringback
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

"Greater Imperial Japanese Navy"
    This was the standard cap tally for all enlisted from 1942-45

Quote by adachi View Post
    "Greater Imperial Japanese Navy"
    This was the standard cap tally for all enlisted from 1942-45
    Adding to Adachi's spot-on explanation: the tally reads from right to left. Here it is in modern Japanese format:
    大日本帝国海軍

-- Guy

These tallies were initially with the vessel names on them and were available in two versions; a flat woven version and a thick bullion version. The elaborate bullion version is often erroneously identified as a tally for the straw hat or a sweethearts edition, but was actually simply a dress version tally for the sailor cap, etc. This bullion version was discontinued in November 1915. Shown below is an illustration from the 1913 regulation book showing both versions with vessel names.

The other illustration is from the October 31st 1942 government gazette announcing the new flatwoven tallies without the vessel name for security reasons.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringback   Imperial Japanese Navy(?) headband(?) vet bringback  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 01-04-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks all—learned something today. Not sure if this had ever been worn but great to at least know what is was and what it says on the front. I was trying to think how it would have been worn since so long and the diagram above answers that. Awesome info!

These were not sewn on, but slipped on through loops on the cap band. That is why they will look unworn.