Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Japanese Shanghai Naval Landing Forces post card.

Article about: Need help translate SNLF post card please thank you.

Default Imperial Japanese Shanghai Naval Landing Forces post card.

Need help translate SNLF post card please thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Japanese Shanghai Naval Landing Forces post card.   Imperial Japanese Shanghai Naval Landing Forces post card.  

Rod
    ?

Dated January 1 1937, to Yamanashi Prefecture
    Other side, 2nd line from the left says Special Artillery Unit, Anti Aircraft Artillery Unit

Rod
    ?

3rd line from the left, Overseas Great Japan Sea Army Special something Land Battle Unit

Card should be read from right to left so I'm going backwards. Not really into IJN so don't know their terminology, just being literal here for most part.

It's a printed Happy New Year card from the year of the 2nd Shanghai Incident when the SNLF there was composed of 2400 men. Probably a member of the 4th battalion, equipped with 4 anti-aircraft guns. No mention of the man's rank.

Thank you Rod, I really appreciate it😊👍

Thank you Nick I really appreciate it.

This building is still standing today. I found some photos of it. Circa 2016. I don't own the photo. Credit to its owner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Japanese Shanghai Naval Landing Forces post card.  

The tower seems in ruins.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Japanese Shanghai Naval Landing Forces post card.   Imperial Japanese Shanghai Naval Landing Forces post card.  

This man could not have celebrated the New Year's Day of 1938 in the same manner, as the government officially decided to refrain from exchanging New Year Greeting cards in a meeting dated 11th November 1937. This was officially announced within the army on the 15th and the navy would have done likewise. Army Ordinance 6936 forbidding New Year Greeting Cards from 1938.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Japanese Shanghai Naval Landing Forces post card.