Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Info needed about maker, year and value of this Katana

Article about: by BOB COLEMAN Hello Ger- I do not know what you mean by a "court rank" If you are referring to the honorary title such as "kami" used in the Edo period, there were no Ja

Default Re: Info needed about maker, year and value of this Katana

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Hello Ger-
    I do not know what you mean by a "court rank" If you are referring to the honorary title such as "kami" used in the Edo period, there were no Japanese swordsmiths given such a title since the Hattori in the Meiji period. From the pictures, I have no doubt it is a factory made blade and not a traditional folded and water tempered blade. I would expect any true gendaito to be dated.
    Bob,

He's talking about the 臣 (omi) at the end of Masayoshi's name. The online dictionary says, in addition to meaning retainer, it is also a hereditary honor. Would this "Omi" (or "no Omi") be equivalent to the honorary title "no Kami"? OR .... am I reading the kanji/translation/interpretation incorrectly?

Thanks!
    --Guy
    ==========
    [Edit] -- Here's the online definition:

臣 【おみ; しん】[omi; shin] (n) (1) (arch) retainer; attendant; (2) (おみ omi only) (See 八色の姓) Omi (hereditary title; orig. one of the two highest such titles, later demoted to sixth highest of eight); (3) (しん only) (hum) I (used by a servant when speaking to his master); me

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    ==========
    [Edit] -- Here's the online definition:

臣 【おみ; しん】[omi; shin] (n) (1) (arch) retainer; attendant; (2) (おみ omi only) (See 八色の姓) Omi (hereditary title; orig. one of the two highest such titles, later demoted to sixth highest of eight); (3) (しん only) (hum) I (used by a servant when speaking to his master); me
    I just noticed "me" ..... Could it be the swordsmith is emphasizing his name as being the maker? E.g."

関武正義
    Seki Takeshi Masayoshi Omi
    Me, Takeshi Masayoshi of Seki [city].
    ----
    Enquiring minds want to know.

--Guy

?

Like you Guy im wondering what it could be...

Whatever the meaning, it is not a title as they were abolished in the Edo period. Possibly, there is another meaning to this kanji of which I am unaware. The only titles given to craftsmen, which was developed after the war is nijin kokuho or living national treasure. I had a good friend, Ozawa Masatoshi, who was a marvelous modern swordsmith. His ability was extremely high. I saw one of his blades in a guess the maker contest called out by many Japanese experts as Kiyomaro, the most famous swordsmith of the late Edo period. It was his copy of a Kiyomaro sword. He told me that he could be nijin kokuho, but he did not need to pay anyone to tell him how good he was. He knew how good he was. An old friend now gone who I miss. He made a traditional kaiken for my wife when we got married. A kaiken is a traditional small dagger carried by the wife of a samurai. If their is interest, I can post it at some time.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi Bob,

Not to go off tangent (well, maybe a little), but I'd like to see your wife's kaiken. You know, but others might not: the kaiken was to be used for jigai 自害, piercing her throat, before being dishonored. Admiral Nogi's wife did that; reportedly, the tip of her kaiken broke off in her neck [Nogi had committed seppuku after learning that Emperor Meiji died]. I watched an NHK drama in which a new bride was taught jigai by her mother -- substituting a closed fan for the dagger.

Cheers,
    --Guy

Bob, I really would like to see the kaiken (in detail), please!

?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Bob, I really would like to see the kaiken (in detail), please!
    As would I my friend.

Best Regards,
    Stu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2