Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation .

Article about: Hi all, Well this one has me stumped !! backing and construction as similar Japanese wartime cloth breast wings ...except this one I cant identify ....it came originally out of the wartime e

Default Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation .

Hi all,
    Well this one has me stumped !! backing and construction as similar Japanese wartime cloth breast wings ...except this one I cant identify ....it came originally out of the wartime effects of a US vet .
    hoping someone can shed some light on this ..
    thanks
    steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation .   Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation .  

Rod
    ?

Hi Steve,

I don't think it's Japanese. Maybe someone knows better but I've never seen anything related to Imperial insignia that looks similar.

Regards, Rod

...thanks Rod ,but still believe its Japanese...star is the same as on pilots badge and backing paper is the same as naval landing craft wings...pics enclosed.
    cheers
    steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation .   Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation .  

Rod
    ?

Quote by arrestingu View Post
    ...thanks Rod ,but still believe its Japanese...star is the same as on pilots badge and backing paper is the same as naval landing craft wings...pics enclosed.
    cheers
    steve
    Cool! Hope you're right Steve.

Rod

?

Never seen anything like it. If it's Japanese, which I doubt, perhaps it was made in Japan post war for a US or other airman etc

?

Definitely not for American use.

..I am convinced its Japanese made. Just unable to identify..it has been suggested its a pilots badge for one of the Japanese puppet states....would love to find a picture of it being worn.
    The star is the same fitting and size as the pilots one in my picture... and of course the rear paper matches ..!! ;-)

Did the Japanese ever use that shape and design of what I assume is a handheld shield in battle?

It looks very a familiar European style to me like the Templar/Crusader shield below and The British Eighth Army shield with yellow Latin Cross:

Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation . Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation .Info sought on unusual cloth / bullion Japanese winged insignia ...aviation .

I am sure there is a heraldic name for this style of shield but I do not know it.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

After the purge of the Samurai class, western influence covered many areas of design , so think the shape of the shield may have limitations...but every avenue is worth looking at ..many thanks for your help..i am still googling lol