Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting Banner Need Info

Article about: Hello, I recently purchased a small collection of 82nd airborne items. This banner along with a Japanese tanto came in the collection. Im not sure what it is, if its military related or if i

Ladknives
    ?

Default Interesting Banner Need Info

Hello,
    I recently purchased a small collection of 82nd airborne items. This banner along with a Japanese tanto came in the collection. Im not sure what it is, if its military related or if its japanese for that matter. Its extremely well made. Its doible sided hand stitched and embroidered. It weighs almost 8lbs and its not a very large banner. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!Interesting Banner   Need  Info

That is a school banner for a University of Commerce. There were several such universities, but this flag does not specify the city name so I cannot tell which one it is. The writing on the right says the flag was dedicated to the school by the graduating class of 1910. Commerce is represented by the wings of Mercury, and the current school logos look like below.

It should be possible to pinpoint which school it was by tracing school histories to see which ones existed in 1910, but I don't think the flag is worth that effort.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Banner   Need  Info  

Welcome to the forum. Please also post the tanto on another thread. Be sure tp acknowledge Nick for his help.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I did some more digging on the schools and it appears that universities of commerce only got established from 1920 onwards and none existed yet in 1910. However, from 1901, some Commerce Colleges were campaigning to become universities, so this banner is likely the expression of hope that the school would be granted university status. The 3 to be first in being granted university status were Tokyo, Kobe and Osaka commerce colleges, of which the Tokyo school later evolved into the Hitotsubashi National University, one of the top schools in Japan.

Perhaps the wings got you excited about the possibility of a flag related to military aviation, but as a collectors' item it hardly has any value. However, if I'm right that it is from one of those 3 schools of commerce, the banner has great historical significance for the school, and they should be extremely thankful to be able to recover an early piece of school heritage.

Another toad, who didn't learn manners? I think I should not bother any more to answer questions, as 3 in a row is simply odds beyond salvage and I do not want anything to do with such people.

A simple common courtesy is becoming a lost art these days.. I am truly grateful to all the help forum members have provided for me over the years.
    It has become sad to see the question "What is it worth" Just my opinion.. Thanks and warm regards, you know who you are. Thank you all ,Geoff.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Another toad, who didn't learn manners? I think I should not bother any more to answer questions, as 3 in a row is simply odds beyond salvage and I do not want anything to do with such people.
    Just another one time poster who joined just to use the forum and it's knowledge. I banned the last one who did this to you Nick and likely will do the same with this moron. He is another example of the generation who feel they are entitled and owe nothing back.
    BOB

He had been on line after Nick made his posts so he is gone.
    BOB

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    LMAO.. I'm sorry..